OR  Zero-K Name:    Password:   

wtf hapend to the fun modifiers

11 posts, 294 views
Post comment
Filter:    Player:  
sort

USrankbcbc420
12 days ago
stuff like commander test and i win buttn i played with them alot and after the new lobby i left cuz thay are gone. any need to remove em in new lobby?
+1 / -0

RUrankFirepluk
12 days ago
ZK and no fun allowed policy has been going on for a while
develobsters even renamed Disco Rave Party because it was quote 'not serious enough'
lob lob develob
+2 / -0

AUrank[GBC]1v0ry_k1ng
12 days ago
wat? sumo just got a 20% gravity gun buff!
+1 / -0

USrankFealthas
12 days ago
!FUN!
+0 / -0

PLrankSprung
12 days ago
quote:
any need to remove em in new lobby?

Yes, they were clutter.

quote:
lol how are they clutter if right here is some guy who used them

I'm sure that every modoption that puts a tangible twist on gameplay would see use every once in a while. In this regard anybody could make arbitrary modoptions (say, "all rockets are now homing", "everything explodes at least like a pylon", "all lasers do extra slow damage" etc) that would be considered fun by someone and perhaps see use every once in a while even in the large public room (my experience is that if someone brings up such a vote there it almost always passes). However these options incur a maintenance cost by adding to the codebase complexity and an interface cost because users get overwhelmed. The cost means that there needs to be some minimum quality/desirability for modoptions and these two did not meet them.

quote:
so prevent new ones but leave existing ones

This sets a bad precedent for the future and the costs are paid continuously.

Note that this is my personal stance so even though I think it's reasonable it can be overridden if you convince the senior devs.

I think that the relevant features (Commanders and extremely expensive units) could be brought back in some form but there would need to have more than 5 minutes of thought put into them.
  • people love large units for their scale and epicness and IWB was the most boring unit possible. Since Starlight is pretty much a soft win button, you can go zany with anything that lies beyond without much care for gameplay; for example a huge strider with a ten different weapons and a nuke sidearm, slowly but surely walking into the enemy base. A static button that crudely zaps other things is just sad.
  • people love commanders for being their avatar: unique and with the ability to pour attention into it. Commander-centered modoptions should either be in the form of the ability to rebuild a comm after it dies, or extra wacky modules. Being able to build a crowd of comms at 100m apiece completely ruined the whole point.

+5 / -1

ESrankElTorero
12 days ago
quote:
!FUN!

FTFY
quote:
¡FUN!

+3 / -0

ATrankJohnHunter
11 days ago
Idk,

the modoptions, even back when commannder test and co were still there, were imho far from cluttered, and modoptions were already very limited.

also i dont see how removing existing working modoptions saves one from writing new code(for nonexisting modoptions)

and to add to that: not only with modoption but also with unmodded zero-k, there seems to be a Trend over the last years to remove stuff/options that worked perfectly, sometimes even when nobody complained about it.

Disclaimer: This is by no means to be taken as a rant against zero-k or the people developing/maintaining it, as i think zero-k still is one of the greatest PC Games ever, so big thanks to evryone who is responsible for that/helps with zk.
its just that somtimes some decision i just cant really understand
+1 / -0

EErankAdminAnarchid
11 days ago
quote:
develobsters even renamed Disco Rave Party because it was quote 'not serious enough'

Indeed, Disco Rave Party was renamed to Disco Rave Party. Horrible!
+0 / -0

PLrankVistritium
11 days ago
(edited 11 days ago)

Is this good moment and place to ask why we can't select start boxes anymore? .
+1 / -0

RUrankFirepluk
11 days ago
but https://github.com/ZeroK-RTS/Zero-K/issues/1631 and https://github.com/ZeroK-RTS/Zero-K/commit/1e03fa6682f7d3f301dbc2d4bd30bf1fffd28dae
was it reverted? :D
+1 / -0

AUrankAquanim
11 days ago
quote:
Is this good moment and place to ask why we can't select start boxes anymore? .

AFAIK this is a side-effect of the added feature of non-rectangular start boxes.
+0 / -0