AA shooting at "any" unit
This has already been semi-debunked by GF in: http://zero-k.info/Forum/Thread/36893?postID=262077#262077
And to some extent also in: http://zero-k.info/Forum/Thread/35999?postID=256192#256192
However, I feel like it's a good exercise to explore the idea in detail.
The idea in a nutshell
- Make AA have two zones of operation: High altitude and Low altitude.
- If AA will fire on unit is determined by Altitude of target, firestate and Avoid Bad targets state.
- Certain planes and gunships should be made to fly a bit higher, so they avoid most flex-AA.
- AA that fires at high-altitude should be stronger.
- There should be some overlap between the High altitude and the Low altitude zone.
- Krow altitude, for example, could be so that it is hit by both types.
- Certain AA can work in both zones, ie Gremlin, Zephyr.
- Jumping and lobbed units shouldn't reach the High-altitude zone.
- Landed planes don't get targeted by AA.
- Launched units can be targeted by AA.
- AA is still AA, it won't shoot up hills.
- Certain planes/gunships can fly "under" the strongest AA (ie Artemis).
- Jumping/lobbed units can be hit by low-altitude AA.
- Building "correct" AA response becomes _more_ difficult.
- This is a large change, requiring huge balancing efforts.
- Might require engine changes to support altitude limited targeting.