Loading...
  OR  Zero-K Name:    Password:   

Suggestion: Minimum Team Sizes For TAW

6 posts, 212 views
Post comment
Filter:    Player:  
sort
20 days ago
I know I'm not the only one who sits in the Spectator room of TAW waiting for the lobby to get going because I don't want to afk in the lobby itself waiting for a game just to get trolled into a surprise 1v1 against e.g. stuart when I'm editing my youtube playlist.

Just recently we had something like 15 people in speclobby and an open discussion about how everyone wanted in, but no one wanted to risk sitting and get drawn into a bad game.

Ergo, for one of the TAWs, I suggest not allowing the game to begin until it's at least a 4v4, so those of us who want to play a decently sized game can help seed lobbies.
+6 / -0

20 days ago
I was thinking turning elo off until it's 4v4 (possibly unless it's very close to 50/50?).

I'm quite sure games actively being played encourages specs into the pots and retains specs in the lobby, so I wouldn't want them to stop entirely, but small teams in taw are usually horribly balanced and possibly overall make rating less accurate as a result of being ranked?

A lot of players would be more likely to play these early snowballing games if they didn't feel they would mess with their ranking. This is part of the reason people play hooked so frequently.
+4 / -0
19 days ago
I would prefer not allowing starting until 3v3 by displaying a message "this hosts needs at least 6 players to start a game" - I find it more simple and clear for players that have no idea what to expect.

Or, alternatively change the voting threshold to 100% of players below some game size (and display the threshold!) so that nobody can drag you into a game that you don't want to play.
+1 / -0
If wanting to get a bigger game going when it's quiet, I honestly find the best strategy is usually to just start a small game in the lobby - specs normally join and then play.

Maybe elo could be turned off when the rating difference is too much and nightwatch is giving more than a 53% chance of one side winning or something?
+1 / -0
19 days ago
ELO/WHR is fun to have, but I find it an approximation (due to new players, play style variability and other reasons).

Ideally everybody should have a slider what "chance" is willing to take to join a game, I would personally probably accept 35% chance of winning to play in a "smallish" game (between 6 and 12 players).

For larger game I would like to have a maximum variation to join a game, sometimes balancer puts best one + all the worse ones in a team and all the other in the other team (or milder variations of this pattern), which I find quite bad balance.
+0 / -0
19 days ago
Personally, I find small games (3v3 TAW and smaller) simply unenjoyable, so just seeding with smaller games to get larger ones rather defeats the point to me. For example, right now I'm on a Tyr kick. I prefer zero-k when ZK is good, but if my option is to play a game I won't enjoy, or go play something else, I'll just go play something else- my time is too limited to not have fun seeding lobbies for games I will be too burned out to enjoy.
+0 / -0