Welcome to Zero-K
- Epic Scale from tiny flea-bots to huge mechs and gigantic superweapons that wreak havoc - hundreds or thousands of units on the battlefield, all easily viewable with a fully pannable and zoomable camera.
- Realistic Physics mean each shot is physically simulated realtime - you can actually evade bullets if you micro-manage your units! Hills and terrain affect line of sight and radar coverage, and explosions deform the terrain.
- Planet Wars lets you take control of your own planet and fight for survival in an ongoing online campaign!
- Natural Balance allows units to depend on their natural characteristics and the benefits of the simulated environment, not contrived special damages to determine their effectiveness.
- Terraforming - change the terrain: walls, ditches, ramps and more, to provide yourself with an extra tactical advantage.
- Unique Abilities make sure units are fun to use! From jump-jets, gravity turrets, mobile shields, burning napalm, air drops, unit morphs - we've got it all and more! You can even control your units directly in First Person Mode!
- Streamlined Economy - the economic system is complex without being tedious, with a simple interface and controls. Resources are unlimited and output can be scaled up as the game progresses, allowing for increasingly intense battles. The system is also designed to minimize slippery slope and allow skilled players to make comebacks from losing positions.
There are a even more amazing features, but listing them isn't as fun as trying them out yourself, so visit our Downloads page!
Zero-K is made by the players, for the players. All the game developers are active and experienced players. Balance and fun are assured.
Multiplatform Zero-K lobby
There is now a new Zero-K lobby, I hope that auto-upgrade worked well on your system :)
This new version also works on Linux and should work on Mac with little tweaks.
To install on Linux, run something like that:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:spring/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install spring mono-complete xprintidle p7zip wget
On Windows there is now a new feature to use external browser instead of built in, and lots of little tweaks.
Both platforms now share identical executable and self update at the same time.
Unfortunately that means I had to strip some WPF vector visuals form ZKL, but they can now be recreated using bitmaps and manual rendering. So please hold on until I get some artist help :)
ZKL for linux wont be able to download engine 91.0 because it does not exist as a static build yet.
If you do have a working 91.0 for linux, make a symlink in .spring/engine/91.0/spring to make ZKL use it. Posted by Licho 23 days ago - comment
Welcome to the past
ZK now at 126.96.36.199 with engine 91 .. until performance and other issues are fixed (aahhhh the smoothnesss!)
Please use the standard Zero-K lobby on Windows or WebLobby (http://weblobby.springrts.com/) and NOTAlobby on Linux to join games.
You can of course still host any version of the game and engine (!setengine command) and Oxygen host hosts latest game with engine 94.1.
Zero-K v188.8.131.52 with Spring 94.1
After fighting through a swarm of bugs we are ready to release a version of Zero-K compatible with Spring 94.1. We've been hard (and slow) at work fixing compatibility issues and working around new engine bugs. There are many important fixes in this engine version so hopefully it has been worthwhile.
Non-ZKL users will need to update their engine but with the appearance of Weblobby and static builds for Linux this should be easy.
== Engine ==
Pathfinding around terrain has been significantly improved. This is most noticeable for units with low slope tolerance and large turning circle. Units get themselves stuck on terrain much less often.
Plane related bugs have been fixed. There should no longer be an occasional plane which misses the airpad and has to be reclaimed. Bombers can be given orders after an attack ground order without messing up their queue.
Area of effect damage is now based on distance to hitsphere instead of distance to the center of a unit. This makes a lot more sense and fixes issues involving large units not take damage unless hit directly.
Apparently the whole game should run significantly faster.
== Other Changes ==
Bertha, Tremor, Pillager, Disco Rave Party, Behemoth, Warlord and Catapult no longer avoid terrain when aiming. This is either because they are good at knocking down walls or because they are too inaccurate and high trajectory for terrain to matter.
Gauss weapons deal predictable damage based on the footprint of the unit they are targeting. Scrubber damage has been increased from 90 to 110 to counteract this.
Chicken Swarmers can form writhing masses which packed densely enough. Watch out, they can flow over small barriers.
* Modified overall mex values for Evergreen_Haven-Redux-v02, MountDustmoreV3, Riverbedv2
* Reduced center supermexes for FolsomDamFinal, Deadlands, Motkottava_Nakkivahvero-v01
* Moved metal spot from on top of geo spot in AquariusCrossing
* Fixed missing metal spots in Atuminoa, Quoth v1
* Fixed some structure hitvolumes which were large enough for attackers to hide inside.
* Outlaw vibrates when firing.
* Fixed crash while placing Missile Silo caused by some graphics cards.
* Fixed some small, rare crashes or bugs (as always).
Major changes for this version are the ability to use priority for stockpile and morph, a Stiletto nerf and changes to the way keybinds are handled. There are also a lot of code changes a fixes.
The keybinds change has reset all keybinds. Players which modified keybinds through the ingame menu will need to rebind them. Players using uikeys.txt have a few options for keybind migration. Additional information: http://zero-k.info/Wiki/KeybindFile
== Engine ==
For now we are sticking with the old engine (91.0) because the update has many bugs which we cannot fix. Most of the bugs which we can fix have been fixed.
Most of the remaining bugs are graphical bugs or crash bugs which occur for some people and not others. We cannot test for these bugs. To prevent future releases like this we just need some players to occasionally try the BLEEDING EDGE host to make sure it still works. Players who experienced bugs in 93.2 should do this frequently for now such that we can actually get an engine release that works.
== Morph & Stockpiling Priority ==
Now you can set priority to morph and weapon stockpiling just like regular construction priority.
== Balance ==
* 5% less regen rate (60 -> 57 in all 3 cases).
* Stun Time 15s -> 13s
* EMP Damage reduced by 10%
* Can fire underwater
* Health 1300 -> 850
== Interface ==
* The new ZK keybinds system is now operational. See here for more information http://zero-k.info/Wiki/KeybindFile
* More keybind-able buttons added to EpicMenu interface.
* EpicMenu also allows player to use the old ui_keys.txt instead of the new ZK_keys.lua. Go to Settings/Misc to set this option.
* F4 now will also highlight ally wrecks in addition to enemy wrecks.
* Build ETA text now has an outline for better visibility.
* More buttons for unit visibility widgets in Settings/Graphics/Unit Visibility and Settings/Interface/Selection. ie: XrayShader, Outline, Halo, TeamPlatter and Spotter widget.
* Shadow setting now uses a slider.
* Added a "Select Next Player" button to Settings/Interface/Spectating.
== Graphic ==
Nuclear and Singularity explosions now create a bright lighting effect. This requires the engine settings MaxDynamicMapLight and MaxDynamicModelLight to be greater than 0.
== Widget ==
* Various improvements in COFC operation, such as smoother unit tracking.
* Map Edge Extension widget can now draw a curvature effect for the region outside the playable map (VFX). The fog effect at the playable map edge can also now be toggled.
* Added Commander Info (Comm-n-Elo Startpos. Info) widget that shows ally commander selection.
* The KeyboardMenu now has buttons for building units.
* The ShowAllCommands widget will now always show commands for current selection when "Show only on shift" is enabled. Its settings are now in Settings/Interface/Command Visibility.
== MetalSpot ==
* Added custom metal spots for PizzaTime_v02.
* Added custom metal spots for StormSiege_v3.
* Added custom metal spots for Grts_Messa_008.
== BugFixes ==
* Fixed Space+Click on player list not working.
* Rapier wreck now use new model instead of old one.
* Fixed commander facing direction during gamestart.
* Fixed Weaver wreck/debris giving 12/6 more metal than it should have.
* Fixed CAI continuing to work when its team is killed.
* Fixed rare case of unit exiting factory and not going idle (NoStuckInFactory widget).
* Fixed chicken queen kill award. Now players can get the queen kill award.
Add experimental impulse jumpjet option to ModOption. Requires Spring93.1.1++ and therefore is not enabled by default.
RSS feed | news archive