Welcome to Zero-K
- Epic Scale from tiny flea-bots to huge mechs and gigantic superweapons that wreak havoc - hundreds or thousands of units on the battlefield, all easily viewable with a fully pannable and zoomable camera.
- Realistic Physics mean each shot is physically simulated realtime - you can actually evade bullets if you micro-manage your units! Hills and terrain affect line of sight and radar coverage, and explosions deform the terrain.
- Planet Wars lets you take control of your own planet and fight for survival in an ongoing online campaign!
- Natural Balance allows units to depend on their natural characteristics and the benefits of the simulated environment, not contrived special damages to determine their effectiveness.
- Terraforming - change the terrain: walls, ditches, ramps and more, to provide yourself with an extra tactical advantage.
- Unique Abilities make sure units are fun to use! From jump-jets, gravity turrets, mobile shields, burning napalm, air drops, unit morphs - we've got it all and more!
- Streamlined Economy - the economic system is complex without being tedious, with a simple interface and controls. Resources are unlimited and output can be scaled up as the game progresses, allowing for increasingly intense battles. The system is also designed to minimize slippery slope and allow skilled players to make comebacks from losing positions.
Some of the many units to try out include:
There are many even more amazing features, but listing them isn't as fun as trying them out yourself, so visit our Downloads page!
Zero-K is made by the players, for the players. All the game developers are active and experienced players. Balance and fun are assured.
ZK 1v1 Tournament July 26 2014
This month's 1v1 tournament will take place on the 26th starting at 09:00 UTC (9AM). Registration is open until July 25th 23:59 UTC. Keep in mind that due to daylight savings time in UK is UTC+1, in Central Europe UTC+2, etc. Current time in UTC can be seen here.
The tournament is open to players of all skill levels.
- Single elimination
- First map of each round is predetermined, the following maps will be selected by the loser of the previous game from the featured 1v1 map pool.
- Finals are best of 5, all other matches including the bronze match are best of 3.
- Default ZK engine version will be used. If both players in a round agree to use a different versionit may be used for that round.
The tourney racket will be seeded according to players' 1v1 Elo. The players coming first, second and third will receive 75, 50 and 25 kudos respectively. View the bracket here.
Maps for the first games in every round will be the following:
Round 1: Desert Plateaus
Round 2: Red Comet
Bronze match: Valles Marineris v2
Finals: Trojan Hills v2
Sign up in this thread!
Tourney and Balance Release v220.127.116.11
=== 2v2 Tourney ===
The month's 2v2 tourney concluded this weekend. If you missed it (sadly, there were no news posted before it started), you can find more information about it in the tourney thread, view the results on Challonge, and review the commentated replays on ShadowFury's youtube channel.
=== Balance ===
This release has some small and no so small changes. The small changes are minor tweaks to bot factories and the large changes are to sea and gunships.
= Shieldbot =
Bandit is due a minor buff and Dirtbag is now armed to add options to the Shieldbot opening. The aim is to increase Shieldbot diversity. This may involve an eventual Felon nerf.
* Cost 35 -> 30
* Is now armed with a 25 DPS melee attack.
* Sight distance 200 -> 300
* Cost 80 -> 75
* Range 240 -> 245
* Speed 1.5 -> 1.9
= Jumpjets =
Jumpjets is becoming a reasonable factory but is carried by Pyro. The solution is to hobble the one trick pony. Pyro has only recently become a legitimate raider so this change is experimental.
* Health 700 -> 620
* Range 410 -> 420
* Significantly increased turnrate and turret turnrate.
* Cost 650 -> 600
= Gunships =
Now that Planes work well we have set our sights on a reasonable Gunship factory. The main thrust of these changes is to make Gunship AA stand up to fighters so a Gunship switch is not instantly countered by opponents who simultaneously switch to Planes.
Plane HP and dedicated AA damage were both reduced by 9%. This effectively makes dedicated AA worse against Gunships and flex AA better against Planes. Krow HP was also reduced by 9% as it mostly interacts with dedicated AA.
* Reload time 4s -> 5s
* Deals 570 Slow Damage.
Brawler flies a bit higher and
* Speed 4 -> 3.7
* Range 500 -> 600
* Weapon velocity 450 -> 420
* Projectiles explode at range (like Flak, Warrior and Stardust).
* Cost 400 -> 270
* Health 1500 -> 900
* Shoots 540 burst damage with 10 second reload.
* Speed 3.6 -> 3.8
= Drones =
Drones (Funnelweb, Companion, Reef):
* Drones now spawn as nanoframes suspended above the parent unit.
* The nanoframe builds itself and completes after 3 seconds.
= Spiders =
* Reload Time 2 -> 1.9
* Damage 200 -> 220
= Cloakybot =
Another minor Rocko nerf (the last one was 5% projectile velocity). This should be the last nerf for a long time.
* Health 480 -> 450
* Range 460 -> 455
= General Sea Changes =
Sea has been reworked with promises from RyMarq to track how it plays and make future improvements. Ships have been rewritten and the sea aspects of Amph and Hover have had changes as well.
Sonar ranges are now significantly lower. This is to increase the sneakiness of underwater units.
* Cost 120 -> 40
* Sonar Range 1600 -> 600
Urchin tweaked to be lighter. It is still powerful, but far less defining of sea gameplay.
* Cost 160 -> 100
* Range 590
* Sonar Range 300
* Damage 295 -> 180
* Now has some AoE
= Ships =
Many ships with particularly low turn rates have had their turn rate increased to be more usable. Many more ships have been reworked.
Skeeter has has a disarm effect and slightly lower normal DPS.
Hunter has become more of a traditional riot unit. It has fairly traditional riot attributes such as AoE and low range. No longer will it dominate everything forced to travel in the water.
Snake is now properly setup as a raider. Less cost and lower stats with more speed.
Enforcer is now a powerful artillery/skirmish unit, capable of firing a salvo of powerful missiles at long range. Weak tracking makes it effectively countered by raiders and other fast units.
Typhoon is more of a traditional assault unit with a slower speed but powerful damage output and increased toughness.
Serpent is much cheaper so should see use earlier. Is now more cleanly countered by those units which can close on it, especially raiders like Duck and Snake. It has had most aspects of it reduced to compensate, including range and speed.
= Amphibious =
Most notable as far as amphib is concerned are the Sonar range reductions and improvements to the Claymore (which now effectively counters many of their units). The Scallop's underwater weapon is reworked into a salvo of easy to miss explosives.
* Cost 210 -> 180
Scallops now fires a burst of explosives underwater. They gradually accelerate to high speed and have trouble tracking fast enemies.
= Hovercraft =
Hover primarily had the Claymore adjusted to be more effective against underwater units.
Claymore is now less suicidal with an improved turnrate and slower depth charge. To compensate it deals less damage.
Back to the Future: Zero-K v18.104.22.168 with Spring 97.0
Hop in the DeLorean, we're going 88 mph with no looking back! 1.21 gigawatts, baby!
Rocket speed reduced by 5%
Gauss guns can now pierce water. This is to make Scrubber (now Dagger) useful in the sea. As a side effect the Gauss Turret is another form of anti-sub and wading Detriments no longer fear submarines.
Scrubber has been renamed to Dagger (to reduce the prevalence of Sc- names).
Gauss Turret can now shoot at aircraft.
Replaced Gauss Gun with a dual Glaive Gun.
Commander Gauss has been removed. Shock Rifle now converts from Light Particle Beam.
Duck, Scallop, Scalpel, Crusader (depthcharge), Hunter, Snake and Serpent no longer lead their target. This makes them better at shooting targets near their maximum range.
Health 240 -> 340
Range 240 -> 250
Added unit AI.
Health 1000 -> 900
Range 600 -> 520
Significantly increased the performance of the unit selection window.
Minor Unit AI optimization.
Minor Shield Link optimization.
Fixed Initial Queue crash.
Added a modoption to force Commander Junior.
Solars can no longer be forced open.
Reduced Hawk firing sound.
ZK 1v1 Tourney starting now!
May 1v1 tourney will be starting in less than 15 minutes in your nearest ZK 1v1 hosts.
You can view the bracket and progression on this page, review rules here, spectate it direcly in game, or watch a commentated stream live here.
Good luck and have fun to all participants!
RSS feed | news archive