Welcome to Zero-K
- *Epic Scale* from tiny flea-bots to huge mechs and gigantic superweapons that wreak havoc - hundreds or thousands of units on the battlefield, all easily viewable with a fully pannable and zoomable camera.
- *Realistic Physics* mean each shot is physically simulated realtime - you can actually evade bullets if you micro-manage your units! Hills and terrain affect line of sight and radar coverage, and explosions deform the terrain.
- Planet Wars lets you take control of your own planet and fight for survival in an ongoing online campaign!
- *Natural Balance* allows units to depend on their natural characteristics and the benefits of the simulated environment, not contrived special damages to determine their effectiveness.
- Terraforming - change the terrain: walls, ditches, ramps and more, to provide yourself with an extra tactical advantage.
- *Unique Abilities* make sure units are fun to use! From jump-jets, gravity turrets, mobile shields, burning napalm, air drops, commander morphs, EMP, minelayers, burrowers, replicators, and teleporters - we've got it all and more!
- *Streamlined Economy* - the economic system is complex without being tedious, with a simple interface and controls. Resources are unlimited and output can be scaled up as the game progresses, allowing for increasingly intense battles. The system is also designed to minimize slippery slope and allow skilled players to make comebacks from losing positions.
*Some of the many units to try out include:*
There are many even more amazing features, but listing them isn't as fun as trying them out yourself, so visit our Downloads page!
Zero-K is made by the players, for the players. All the game developers are active and experienced players. Balance and fun are assured.
Muster your AA, Raven has a buff! And Phoenix! Actually, those are the only two balance changes and they should both be minor. The real focus of this release is on the user interface, bug fixes and other improvements.
- Phoenix can target gunships.
- Ravens dive faster. Their minimum speed is now 75% of max speed (from 50%).
- Right-clicking on a mex spot in Eco view (F4) when only cons are selected now queues a mex.
- "Skydust" UI now works with mexes and during pause.
- Reworked the gunships radar icon set
- Idle constructor select:
- Now works with Shift - adds the closest unselected idle con to selection [?]
- The UI button now shows both the select-1 and select-all hotkeys
- Treating unfinished cons as idle is now toggleable, default false [?]
- Space+click brings up its options menu [?]
- Comm Selector screen:
- Has a toggle to hide trainer comms [?]
- Disables itself when no longer relevant [?]
- Factory Panel ETA display has the same rules as the inworld display [?]
- Advanced tacnuke range displays (vertical, emp aoe) can now be toggled, default off [?]
- Added a hotkeyable action to select a ready Raven [?]
- The old COFC tiltzoom behaviour of drifting the object under the cursor to screen center is now an option independent of tiltzoom [?]
- Initial queue now works with disabled units properly.
- Menus: general clutter reduction.
- "Command Console Activated" plays when the game is ready instead of halfway through loading.
- Text to speech now obeys the master volume slider and has its own volume slider in the menu [?]
- Free For All games now default to shuffle start boxes.
- Strike Comm now the default comm.
- Resign votes now use team names (like Team North).
- Polish translations for misc tooltips, Russian translations for units.
- Units wading through shallow water now leave wakes; some trees sway with the wind.
- Endgame graphs now measure damage in metal cost instead of health.
- Purple Heart award now tracks environmental damage and friendly fire.
- Added mex config for Tandem Craters and Silo Valley.
- Added a health multiplier modoption.
- Improve lategame performance somewhat by dramatically reducing the performance cost of windgen farms.
- Per-unittype build spacing is now correctly saved between games.
- On/off initial state setting now works correctly.
- Vertical Aircraft Lines now work.
- Fixed metal multiplier modoption only working on mexes.
- Fixed awards treating dynamic comms as having 1000 cost and base health.
- Fixed energy multiplier modoption not working on Commanders.
- Fixed idle comms being selected by Select Idle Con regardless of the Track Commanders setting.
- Fixed Factory Panel being very slow to update and not noticing interruption (canceled/killed) if it happened to the last unit in the queue.
- Fixed irrelevant votemove showing up ingame.
- Fixed the COFC tiltzoom issue where the camera would not keep the cursor/center on the zoom target when zooming in or out quickly.
- Fixed Tidal build tooltip showing Windgen health.
- Fixed Zenith tooltip crash.
- Fixed penitent spycrab commander.
- Fixed default comm showing up as old armcom pregame.
- Fixed huge ghosted duplicate being drawn pregame.
- Fixed default comm not having a tooltip pregame.
- Fixed the case where if multiple people chose a comm of the same name, only one would have the tooltip pregame.
- Fixed comms not being rotated pregame.
- Fixed quick selection bar con # label disappearing briefly when the number changes.
Zero-K 2v2 Tournament 2th April 2016
New format, new organizers, new prizes.
A 2v2 tournament will be held on Saturday 2th April 2016 at 10AM UTC, with steam key and kudos for top three winners.
See more at http://zero-k.info/Forum/Thread/22184
Zero-K v188.8.131.52 to v184.108.40.206
The past week has seen nerfs to Warriors, drops, Warrior drops and now drops in general. Valkyrie may need some buffs to make it better in the midgame but we will solve that problem when we reach it. We also have the weapon shiny gadget by Beherith from BAR (with modifications). Here are the changes.
- DPS 285 -> 265 [?]
- Cost 210 -> 220 m [?]
- Regen 40 -> 30 hp/s
- Cost 80 -> 100 m
- Altitude 80 -> 140 elmo
Valkyrie and Vindicator speeds are now more affected by the mass of the unit they are transporting[?].
- Relatively heavy units are transported at 66% the speed that they used to be transported.
- Lighter units are slower to transport than they used to be. In particular Warrior causes Valkyrie to slow to 75% speed where previously Valkyrie was not slowed at all.
- Very light units are unaffected. This is relative to their transporter. For example Warrior still does not cause any slowdown for Vindicator because Vindicator is a beast.
Fixed overkill prevention for long ranged missile units.
Weapon fire is now shiny[?]. Better shader code and more shiny things will follow. If knows how to write shaders their help would be very welcome. The shiny is enabled for everyone because we would like to test a range of hardware to see whether it causes errors or too much performance loss.
- Fixed endgame graph jaggedness, added some parameters.
- Fixed debris of killed nanoframes not showing the owner.
- Fixed Spectator Panels causing a LuaUI crash.
- Fixed the resign message not showing if the player was the last on his team [?]
- Fixed team names when two teams being filled with members of the same clan.
- Fixed Commanders showing range circles for unequipped weapons.
- Fixed idle constructors not showing as idle in the Quick Selection Bar after move commands.
- Fixed Context Menu not showing Commander regeneration.
- Fixed Commander wreckage using old names.
- Fixed tooltips showing wrong Commander buildpower.
Zero-K v220.127.116.11 - Dynamic Commander Balance
The community has done great work over the last two weeks exploring the new and improved Warrior. This version has a nerf to Warrior which reduces the previous buff while retaining the unique parts of the warrior; regeneration and damage. We have begun the promised commander weapon design fix with an attempt to equalize their power levels and give each weapon a distinct purpose.
Other nice changes include a fix to the longstanding Slasher overkill prevention issue, reasonable team names and rally points for rearming bombers. Use of rally points should improve bomber turnaround.
In other news ikinz is working on a nice ZK themed Weblobby and the release of Spring 101.0 is looming. The new engine has some nice features but is hampered by ATI graphics errors. Access to ATI testing is stalling our ability to make ZK compatible.
Nerfs to Warrior as a partial reduction of the recent buff. The aim is to harden the counter by skirmishers and reduce overlap with the Zeus assault role.
- Cost 200 -> 210 (old was 220)
- Range 280 -> 270 (same as old)
- Health 880 -> 820
Commander morphing receives a design pass. Most of the effort was applied to basic weapons.
- Basic weapons are now balanced around 50 cost and have designed strengths and weaknesses[?].
- Commanders can equip duplicates of basic weapons.
- Manual fire weapon reload time increased to at least 25s to reduce their spam annoyance. Some buffs. Costs are normalized to 150.
- Cheapened morph base cost by 50 to level 3 and 100 for higher levels.
- Slightly cheaper drone modules.
Valkyrie can no longer transport Enforcer.
Fixed Slasher overkill prevention.
Djinn weight lowered:
- cost 800 -> 750
- health 2600 -> 2500
Artillery accuracy improved:
- Hammer can no longer miss a Defender [?]
- Pillager can no longer miss a Stinger [?]
- Added tactical AI for Ravager.
- More things skirmish Warrior (for example, Ravager).
- Removed broken Scorcher behaviour[?].
Air Repair/Rearm Pad can now have rally points. Aircraft that leave an Air Repair/Rearm Pad or a Airplane Plant with an empty command queue will inherit the queue of their pad. This mirrors the behaviour of factory queues. Reef is unaffected.
Better team names:
- instead of "team 0", teams now have recognizable names, for example "Team North", "GBC" or "Team Sprung" [?]
- the game-over screen now tells spectators who won (in the above format; was just "game over" previously).
- Line-move now shows dots for the projected unit positions. This is option is enabled by default for new and current players. We need to know whether it works for all graphics cards.
- Loading progress bar is now more accurate.
- Added a "show always" option for armor and build-priority state icons.
Changed defaults for new players:
- Fight is now hotkeyed under A and Attack is under F. The commands are also renamed.
- Engine info screen hotkey: 'i' -> 'Ctrl+i'
- LoS view toggle hotkey: 'L' -> 'Ctrl+L'
- Default command visibility: always shown for selected units, hold Shift for all units (previously was hold shift for selected units, no way to see all units).
- The game can now result in a draw in two cases: everyone dies at the same time (eg. two opposing roaches blow each other), or all alive teams are dropped (eg. when the non-dropped team resigns after the other drops).
- Wreckage, rocks, trees etc. no longer disappear without a trace when destroyed/crushed/reclaimed but make a small dirt poof instead.
- Trainer comms default to HMG/radar at level 1 and ablative/regen at level 2.
- CAI no longer avoids linking its fusion reactors.
- Fix CAI having wrong idea about energy economy.
RSS feed | news archive