Drive giant robots, build an army of a thousand Fleas, move mountains if needed, bury the enemy at all cost!
- Real time strategy.
- Physically simulated units and projectiles.
- Terrain manipulation.
- 100+ varied units with unique abilities.
- Singleplayer campaign.
- Challenging, non-cheating AI.
- Multiplayer 1v1 - 16v16, FFA, coop.
- Multiplayer online campaign.
- Really free, no in-game currency, no unfair multiplayer.
Fully Utilized Physics
Simulated unit and projectile physics is used to a level rarely found in a strategy game.
- Use small nimble units to dodge slow moving projectiles.
- Hide behind hills that block weapon fire, line of sight and radar.
- Toss units across the map with gravity guns.
- Transport a battleship to a hilltop - for greater views and gun range.
Manipulate the Terrain
The terrain itself is an ever-changing part of the battlefield.
- Wreck the battlefield with craters that bog down enemy tanks.
- Dig canals to bring your navy inland for a submarine-in-a-desert strike.
- Build ramps, bridges, entire fortress if you wish.
- Burn your portrait into continental crust using the planetary energy chisel.
Singleplayer Campaign and Challenging AI
Enjoy many hours of single player and coop fun with our campaign, wide selection of non-cheating AIs and a survival mode against an alien horde.
- Explore the galaxy and discover technologies in our singleplayer campaign.
- Face a challenging AI that is neither brain-dead nor a clairvoyant cheater.
- Have some coop fun with friends, surviving waves of chicken-monsters.
- Cloaking? Resurrection? Tough choices customizing your commander.
Casual and Competitive Multiplayer
Zero-K was built for multiplayer from the start, this is where you can end up being hooked for a decade.
- Enjoying epic scale combat? Join our 16v16 team battles!
- Looking for a common goal? Fight AIs or waves of chicken-monsters.
- Prefer dancing on a razor's edge? Play 1v1 in ladder and tournaments.
- Comebacks, betrayals, emotions always running high in FFA.
- Want to fight for a bigger cause? Form a clan and join PlanetWars, competitive online campaign with web-game strategic elements, diplomacy and backstabbing.
Power to the People
We are RTS players at heart, we work for nobody. We gave ourselves the tools we always wanted to have in a game.
- Do what you want. No limits to camera, queue or level of control.
- Paint a shape, any shape, and units will move to assume your formation.
- Want to spend more time on tactics? Use construction priorities.
- Want to focus on economy? Order units to kite, strafe or zig zag bullets.
Plenty of Stuff to
Zero-K is a long term project and it shows, millions hours of proper multiplayer testing and dozens of people contributing ever expanding content.
- Learn to use all of our 100+ units and play on hundreds of maps.
- Invent the next mad team-tactics to shock enemies and make allies laugh.
- Combine cloaking, teleports, shields, jumpjets, EMP, napalm, gravity guns, black hole launchers, mind control and self-replication.
- Tiny flea swarm that clings to walls?
Jumping "cans" with steam-spike?
Buoys that hide under water to ambush ships?
Mechs that spew fire and enjoy being tossed from air transports?
Carrier with cute helicopters?
Jumping Jugglenaut with dual wielding gravity guns?
Meet them in Zero-K!
Zero-K 126.96.36.199 - Sneaky Holiday Fixes
Submarines can no longer traverse shallow water, reverting a recent experimental change. Unfortunately it resulted in Seawolf needlessly revealing itself to surface weaponry while skirting islands.
- Minimum depth 5 -> 15.
- Seawolf now has a higher aim point and fire point. This solves various weapon blocking bugs that could occur around coastlines.
Metal Extractor placement is now consistent with other structure placement.
- If you click where a mex can be placed, the mex is placed, otherwise the click is ignored.
- Previously, whether the click was used depended on the ghost under the mouse cursor.
- This caused issues such as being unable to click on a blocked location near a free metal spot to place a mex.
- Writing a report description is now mandatory.
- Replaced the 'Clan List' button in the Profile tab with 'Contact Admins' as this seems more useful.
- Fixed reclaim failing to be highlighted during start position selection.
- Filtered out the low quality part of the construction unit reply.
- Fixed the problems stemming from the outline shader update, possibly even correctly. This fixes the non-default widgets that were missed by the previous patch, such as Bloom and Blob Shader.
- Modding in extra shields is now a bit easier.
Zero-K v188.8.131.52 - Sprucing and Switching
On the balance side of things, mexes are slightly weaker to reward early raiding and factories are bit cheaper to make switching easier. A few other units have been tweaked, with the biggest being nerfs for Funnelweb and Ultimatum, which should open up the mid-lategame options in large teams.
Metal Extractor is slightly more vulnerable to light raids.[list]
- Health 700 -> 640
Factory switching can afford to be easier now that air is less dominant in 1v1.[list]
- Cost 800 -> 700
Outlaw is worse against units that keep their distance.[list]
- Cost 250 -> 260
- Further increased AoE damage falloff.
Knight is also worse against units that keep their distance.[list]
- Range 350 -> 340
Pyro is slightly weaker because it is dominant in some matchups and we are not ready to look at Jumpbots. This is a partial revert of a buff from February, in which it gained 80 health and 8% DPS.[list]
- Health 700 -> 670
- DPS reduced by 4%
Jack and Dirtbag deal extra damage due to a bugfix.[list]
- No longer deal 'around' 25% less than their stated damage against targets 'near' max range.
Tarantula is better at hitting planes.[list]
- Missile turn rate increased by 17%.
Swift is less able to dodge missiles.[list]
- Thickened by 37.5%.
Raven swarms are slightly easier to rearm.[list]
- Rearm time 10s -> 8s
- Rearm cost 100 -> 80 energy
Likho has more downtime between bombing runs.[list]
- Rearm time 20s -> 25s
- Rearm cost 200 -> 250 energy
Ultimatum is more specialised against striders.[list]
- Cost 2000 -> 2500
- Decloak Radius 100 -> 120
- Reload 1.5s -> 2s
Funnelweb loses the ability to outrun many armies.[list]
- Cost 3500 -> 4000
- Speed 54 -> 40
Rover Assembly has a slightly smaller collision volume.
Airplane Plant no longer covers its construction and rearm pads with its collision volume.
- Lobster-bestowed fall damage immunity prevents cloak for its duration.
- Fixed a bug where burrowing units (Snitch, Imp and Flea) sometimes remaining cloaked when launched into the air.
- Fixed units sometimes retaining their full LOS when launched high into the air.
- Raven and Impaler overkill prevention is more lenient against targets that they do not kill in one shot.
- Overkill prevention for many burst weapons has been improved and some failure cases have been patched. In particular, burst anti-air should be a little better at finishing off damaged bombers.
- Clicking on a player and selecting 'Report' is now done entirely in-lobby.
- Decluttered the Community tab by removing the profile and ladder subwindows. Renamed to 'Welcome'.
- Added profile and profile links (such as commander editing and ladder ratings) to the Friends tab. Renamed to 'Profile'.
- Moved the first-launch tutorial prompt popup into the top of the news section of the new Welcome tab. Since a new entry is significantly less intrusive than a popup, it only disappears after completing the the tutorial or by toggling Settings -> Lobby -> 'Hide welcome tutorial prompt'.
- Tweaked the button alignment and skinning of the main menu and top right status buttons.
- Reskinned the top bar to make it clear that the lobby can be toggled while ingame.
- Fixed a bug with updating subheadings of the main logo.
- Reduced the default command opacity in Settings -> Game.
- State toggles now react to commands instantly rather than waiting for the changed state to reach the server.
- Replaced the kick button in the Tab Playerlist with a report button, that brings up an in-lobby report form. The form has a kick option, but it should be used sparringly.
- Added a smarter Caretaker widget called 'Auto Patrol Nanos v2'. It is not enabled by default as it requires more testing and fixes.
- Closing the mission objectives panel no longer unpauses the game if the game was already paused when it was opened.
- Space+Click can now be used on the factory queue, the selection panel, the mission objectives panel and morph commands.
Terraforming presets now come with some default hotkeys. These keys allow you to terraform areas with a set height, skipping the height selection step, and can be configured under Hotkeys/Construction. If you already created hotkeys then you may need to check your settings.[list]
- Alt+V makes the smallest wall that Vehicles cannot pass.
- Alt+B makes the smallest wall that Bots cannot pass.
- Alt+N makes a wall units such as Rogue can use to hide from Stinger.
- Alt+G levels the terrain to the height of the ground where the cursor was initially clicked.
- Alt+H is useful for putting a Crab high on a spire.
- Alt+J just makes a deep hole. This was more useful back when enemies could be burried.
More keybinds and unit behaviours can be set.[list]
- Trajectory mode toggle is bindable under 'Hotkeys/Commands/State'.
- Unusual keys, such as 2, are now bindable.
- Added Overkill Prevention to 'Settings/Unit Behaviour/Default States'.
- Reduced strength of projectile lights by 13%. This multiplier can be tweaked in Settings/Graphics/Lighting.
- Upgraded the outline shader. The edges of the outlines are now smooth and they make units occluded by water and effects more visible.
- Improved Cerberus weapon effects.
- Improved the water on Folsom Dam.
- Death explosions are slightly less overexposed.
- Fixed missing explosion decal for Jugglenaut jump.
- Fixed missing amphibious sinking bubbles.
- Added startboxes for BlackStar v2.
- Limpet now counts towards the kamikaze award.
- Fixed a bug with the factory plate placement visualisation when switching between multiple factory blueprints.
- Fixed right clicking on units with a command selected erroneously issuing the default command rather than cancelling the selected command.
- Fixed unit failing to reply to area reclaim and selection rank commands.
- Fixed a COFC crash caused by unbound hotkeys.
Zero-K 184.108.40.206 - Detriment and Venom tweaks
Venom no longer two-shot stuns Redback, and is slightly more vulnerable to raiders.
- Range 250 -> 245
- Damage 70 -> 65
- EMP Damage 450 -> 400
Detriment has shorter reload and repair downtimes, as well as better pathfinding.
- Autoheal 20 -> 100
- Jump reload 120 -> 100
- Obliterator reload 45 -> 40
- Obliterator AoE 212 -> 256
- Obliterator no longer smooths terrain under structures (so turrets on spires no longer 'dodge').
- Footprint 6x6 -> 4x4 (This lets it move around terrain without issues)
- Hitvolume width reduced by 15.2%
- Hitvolume height reduced by 11.4%
- Fix AA laser only shooting with one barrel.
- Face beam is now unable to fire too far sideways.
Detriment is now a bit more resistant to Ultimatum because the Disingerator deals damage for each frame it is inside the target. In perfect circumstances Ulti removes 20.5% of its health per shot, down from 23.5%, but in reality Ultimatum will often require an extra shot to kill a Detriment.
Tremor is potentially a bit oppressive in dense team games.
- Speed 40.5 -> 37.5
- Range 1220 -> 1160
Gauss turret now has a much larger hitvolume. It was 12.5% thinner than Lotus, which was just silly.
- Knight, Thug and Hermit now jink at half the frequency, giving them time to aim.
- Added a Construction Effect graphics setting to the main menu.
- Increase Ultimatum target priority.
- Fix Phoenix effect on sea impact.
- Updated Unit Level Ups custom mode preset.
- Added support for unitdefs_mod.
- Fixed support for modding in extra weapons to units.
- Improved econ hint formatting slightly.
- Added live water configuration under 'Settings/Graphics/Sun, Fog & Water/Water' ingame.
- Fixed the sun and water on Skulduggery and Mechadansonia.
- Fixed Dante flamethower aiming visuals.
1v1 Tournament November 21st 2020
RSS feed | news archive