Drive giant robots, build an army of a thousand Fleas, move mountains if needed, bury the enemy at all cost!
- Real time strategy.
- Physically simulated units and projectiles.
- Terrain manipulation.
- 100+ varied units with unique abilities.
- Singleplayer campaign.
- Challenging, non-cheating AI.
- Multiplayer 1v1 - 16v16, FFA, coop.
- Multiplayer online campaign.
- Really free, no in-game currency, no unfair multiplayer.
Fully Utilized Physics
Simulated unit and projectile physics is used to a level rarely found in a strategy game.
- Use small nimble units to dodge slow moving projectiles.
- Hide behind hills that block weapon fire, line of sight and radar.
- Toss units across the map with gravity guns.
- Transport a battleship to a hilltop - for greater views and gun range.
Manipulate the Terrain
The terrain itself is an ever-changing part of the battlefield.
- Wreck the battlefield with craters that bog down enemy tanks.
- Dig canals to bring your navy inland for a submarine-in-a-desert strike.
- Build ramps, bridges, entire fortress if you wish.
- Burn your portrait into continental crust using the planetary energy chisel.
Singleplayer Campaign and Challenging AI
Enjoy many hours of single player and coop fun with our campaign, wide selection of non-cheating AIs and a survival mode against an alien horde.
- Explore the galaxy and discover technologies in our singleplayer campaign.
- Face a challenging AI that is neither brain-dead nor a clairvoyant cheater.
- Have some coop fun with friends, surviving waves of chicken-monsters.
- Cloaking? Resurrection? Tough choices customizing your commander.
Casual and Competitive Multiplayer
Zero-K was built for multiplayer from the start, this is where you can end up being hooked for a decade.
- Enjoying epic scale combat? Join our 16v16 team battles!
- Looking for a common goal? Fight AIs or waves of chicken-monsters.
- Prefer dancing on a razor's edge? Play 1v1 in ladder and tournaments.
- Comebacks, betrayals, emotions always running high in FFA.
- Want to fight for a bigger cause? Form a clan and join PlanetWars, competitive online campaign with web-game strategic elements, diplomacy and backstabbing.
Power to the People
We are RTS players at heart, we work for nobody. We gave ourselves the tools we always wanted to have in a game.
- Do what you want. No limits to camera, queue or level of control.
- Paint a shape, any shape, and units will move to assume your formation.
- Want to spend more time on tactics? Use construction priorities.
- Want to focus on economy? Order units to kite, strafe or zig zag bullets.
Plenty of Stuff to
Zero-K is a long term project and it shows, millions hours of proper multiplayer testing and dozens of people contributing ever expanding content.
- Learn to use all of our 100+ units and play on hundreds of maps.
- Invent the next mad team-tactics to shock enemies and make allies laugh.
- Combine cloaking, teleports, shields, jumpjets, EMP, napalm, gravity guns, black hole launchers, mind control and self-replication.
- Tiny flea swarm that clings to walls?
Jumping "cans" with steam-spike?
Buoys that hide under water to ambush ships?
Mechs that spew fire and enjoy being tossed from air transports?
Carrier with cute helicopters?
Jumping Jugglenaut with dual wielding gravity guns?
Meet them in Zero-K!
Zero-K v22.214.171.124 - Lobster Nerf and Map Bans
In terms of balance, the Lobster nerf is by far the largest. Now that the launching mechanic is polished and usable it is time to balance the unit around its attributes rather than difficulty of use. The next largest changes are some tweaks to vehicle raiders to account for Bolas and the Kodachi changes.
Two notable infrastructure changes are the addition of personal map bans for the matchmaker and an experimental split of the teams host into clan-balance and non-clan-balance. The campaign also has a few more codex entries and there are numerous fixes to the consistency of the interface.
Repair costs less time and energy.
- 3/4 unit cost -> 2/3 unit cost.
Scorcher regains some of its ability to chew through health at close range.
- Increased DPS by 7.5%.
Kodachi is given the Locust treatment to make it less snowbally.
- Autoheal 10hp/s -> 5hp/s.
- Weapon Velocity 220 -> 240.
- Reduced upfront DPS by 10.7 to partially counteract fire fixes (see below).
Bolas instantly slows the opponent in fewer matchups.
- Slow damage 3x normal damage -> 2x normal damage.
Duck loses most of the torpedo range it gained in a recent experimental buff.
- Health 340 -> 360.
- Torpedo Range 210 -> 160.
Scallop has a bit less range now that it need not worry about Ducks
- Range 270 -> 260 (both weapons).
Lobster is due for some basic attribute nerfs now that the launch mechanic has been perfected. These numbers are similar to its initial implementation, prior to the slew of usability improvements.
- Cost 230 -> 340.
- Health 1040 -> 960.
- Range 680 -> 620.
- Reload 9s -> 12s.
Disco Rave Party is no longer countered by Funnelweb.
- Blue Shocker damage 12k -> 30k.
Cloaking has fewer bugs and inconsistencies, and area-cloaking is now worse than personal cloaking.
- Being hit by pure slow/disarm/capture weaponry now causes units to decloak (just like being hit by regular or EMP damage).
- Personal cloak is disabled for 3s after taking damage or performing an action.
- Personal cloak disabled by enemy proximity lingers for 1.5s.
- Area cloak is disabled for 5s after taking damage or performing an action.
- Area cloak disabled by enemy proximity lingers for 2.5s.
Previously cloak was disabled for 3.5s by most, but not all, actions. Proximity decloak linger has been broken for a while, causing units to recloak immediately upon an enemy leaving range. Units with personal cloak use the improved numbers even when under an area cloaker.
Other mechanical changes and fixes.
- Disarmed transports can no longer pick up units.
- Transports drop their cargo when they start crashing.
- Zenith stops functioning when its beam is blocked, such as by aircraft or water.
- Fixed Dante, Kodachi and Disco Rave Party being unable to set units on fire.
- Added Codex entries for the quadrants of the galaxy, as well as few for particular planets.
- Added the ability personally ban matchmaker maps (up to six for 1v1, fewer for teams). There is a link via the 'Map Selection' button in the Matchmaking menu.
- Added map size to the tooltip for map selection mult-polls.
- Added network connection settings under Settings -> Game that may be experimented with to fix potential Coop Campaign hosting issues.
- Split the big teams autohost into two hosts. One attempts to put players in same clan or party on the same team. The other ignores clans and parties.
- Increased the maximum Queen Health Multiplier option from 30 to 1000.
- Removed the non-functional play as chickens modoption.
- Added filter and selection hotkeys for loaded and empty air transports.
- Added a hotkey to select all Athenas.
- Fixed some inconsistencies with the stockpile interface and added initial stockpile to Settings/Unit Behaviour.
- Setting the energy stall minimum to zero or the metal excess warning to maximum now disables the warnings completely.
- Disabled tactical AI for bombs by default.
- Tactical AI now responds to Chicken Leapers.
- Added support that allows map-style mods to override tooltips.
- Fixed using ')' as a hotkey on AZERTY keyboards.
- The COFC camera now uses the usual camera hotkeys.
- Fixed some Global Build AI issues and added a hotkey.
- Cleaned up invalid entries in the cheat menu unit spawner.
- Impaler animation matches its reload time.
- Fixed Ultimatium attempting to fire up cliffs from too far away.
- Chickens can no longer be reclaimed.
- Fixed Shieldbot Factory being categorised as 'Other' by endgame stats.
- Constructors count towards 'Economy' instead of 'Army' in endgame stats.
- Fixed a bug with preselection circles.
- Fixed some Gunship Plant geometry.
- Cleaned up the unit replies system.
- Dominatrix leash is no longer obscured by terrain.
Participants: 1TR, ADVENT, AtoSen, MC
The format is round robin, followed by a FFA after-party.
If you would like to play, contact a member of the clan you would like to play with on Discord, lobby DMs or the lobby #clanwars channel.
If you just show up at the designated time without making an RSVP you will likely get to play but this is not guaranteed.
Zero-K v126.96.36.199 - Narrative Campaign and Hunter
The campaign codex has been added, ready to be filled with history and rumours from all over the galaxy. As you explore, you'll learn about its inhabitants, the events that transpired, and how it relates to you. The codex entries for already explored planet are added to ongoing campaigns, or you might prefer to start afresh (perhaps on a higher difficulty?).
The balance tweaks are focused on toning down Bolas and on evening up the relative appeal of Planes and Gunships in the early to mid game. Dominatrix has been moved back towards the anti-heavy role, submarines have better behaviour, and Merlin may be less dominant late game. There are also some changes to move transports away from bomb tossing and to make the prefire widget obsolete.
Other notable changes include a new Hunter model, polish for the main menu, and configuration changes that should result in reduced latency. Report changes in latency so we can assess their effectiveness.
Some units now aim and fire when their target is predicted to be within range. The affected units are Reaver, Pyro, Venom, Recluse, Dart, Ripper, Kodachi, Blitz, Ogre, Nimbus, Dante, Stardust and Faraday. This is a cheap and seamless replacement of the prefire widget and will affect balance, so further tweaks will be required.
Dagger is slightly slower.
- Speed 4.8 -> 4.75
Bolas is slightly worse at combat.
- Health 780 -> 720
- Range 230 -> 225
Ronin can lose a hindrance now that Cloaky is not so powerful.
- No longer slows down after firing (was slowing to 80% speed).
Dominatrix is now much better against heavy units. This is likely to need walking back.
- Doubled damage.
- Doubled the fixed capture buffer intrinsic to all units.
Blastwing is better at scouting.
- Sight radius 450 -> 500.
Locust requires more infrastructure to repair and reuse.
- Regen 10/s -> 5/s
Transport carry speed no longer depends on mass. This is a relative nerf for their ability to throw bombs.
- Charon speed 321 -> 345
- Charon transports at 70% speed. This is about how fast it moved while transporting Reaver/Ravager weight units.
- Hercules transport light units at 100% speed.
- Hercules transports heavy units at 50% speed. This makes it a bit slower for transporting Grizzly/Dante weight units, but about twice as fast for Detriment.
Raven can be cheaper now that energy drain for rearming has proven to be so effective.
- Cost 320 -> 300
Raptor is more manoeuvrable.
- Acceleration increased 10%.
- Aileron increased 33%.
- Rudder increased 33%.
- Elevator increased 50%.
Merlin no longer has above-average health/cost for artillery.
- Health 4000 -> 3140
Submarines (Seawolf and Leviathan):
- Dive deeper in open water, reducing their depth when the sea floor requires it.
- Can traverse shallower water, but become vulnerable to surface weaponary.
- Take full damage from all weapons.
- Added the codex, a repository of logs uncovered as you explore the galaxy.
- Added 40+ codex entries. The plot thickens.
- Added a friendly Stinger to Cygnet as this planet is a bit of a difficulty jump.
- Added tips to Kirdipan regarding the heavy turrets.
- Added more Thunderbirds to Fel Diacia.
- Updated font.
- Added icons for friend invites.
- Fiddled with and fixed the campaign planet window to display better on smaller screens.
- Added a brief loading delay so that the menu does not try to draw without textures.
- Added an incomplete language selector.
- Fixed popup clickthrough.
- Added a tutorial prompt that prompts newcomers start the campaign in a single click.
- Applied some network settings that show result in much better latency.
- Fixed a bug with loading multiple save files.
- Remodeled Hunter.
- Damaged underwater units bubble instead of smoke.
- Removed grass.
- Added hotkeys for state toggles to command tooltips.
- Lobsters set to block attack commands can now only be fired with their special weapon.
- Updated commander chassis descriptions.
- Optimised some widget that draws state (health, selection etc...) on units in worldspace.
- Fixed Cutter build icon.
- Added Bolas translation support and help text.
- Area cloakers that are enabled by default now default to medium priority.
- Fixed raider tactical AI attempting to avoid factories.
- Tightened velocity prediction for Scorcher.
- Tweakunits can now propperly change factory build options.
- Possibly fixed a rare terraform bug.
- Fixed Chainsaw animating while reclaimed.
- Fixed an error with repair pads.
- Fixed Chicken-related awards performance.
- Fixed Strike chassis centre of mass.
In other news, 32-bit Linux is no longer supported.
RSS feed | news archive