Welcome to Zero-K
- Epic Scale from tiny flea-bots to huge mechs and gigantic superweapons that wreak havoc - hundreds or thousands of units on the battlefield, all easily viewable with a fully pannable and zoomable camera.
- Realistic Physics mean each shot is physically simulated realtime - you can actually evade bullets if you micro-manage your units! Hills and terrain affect line of sight and radar coverage, and explosions deform the terrain.
- Planet Wars lets you take control of your own planet and fight for survival in an ongoing online campaign!
- Natural Balance allows units to depend on their natural characteristics and the benefits of the simulated environment, not contrived special damages to determine their effectiveness.
- Terraforming - change the terrain: walls, ditches, ramps and more, to provide yourself with an extra tactical advantage.
- Unique Abilities make sure units are fun to use! From jump-jets, gravity turrets, mobile shields, burning napalm, air drops, unit morphs - we've got it all and more!
- Streamlined Economy - the economic system is complex without being tedious, with a simple interface and controls. Resources are unlimited and output can be scaled up as the game progresses, allowing for increasingly intense battles. The system is also designed to minimize slippery slope and allow skilled players to make comebacks from losing positions.
Some of the many units to try out include:
There are many even more amazing features, but listing them isn't as fun as trying them out yourself, so visit our Downloads page!
Zero-K is made by the players, for the players. All the game developers are active and experienced players. Balance and fun are assured.
ZK 2v2 Tournament August 29th 2015
The summer is nearing its end (at least in northern hemisphere) and with that setting sun this month's tournament will be held in theme of tropics on a Saturday of August 29th at 12:00 UTC, that is a bit later that the usual (all for our dear American players of course). Keep in mind that the tournament will be held by Orfelius and I am just a blind and deaf relay for his words.
Tournament format and rules:
- Double elimination
- Random seeding
- First map of each round is predetermined. The losing team will suggest the next map that is featured for teams.
- All winners bracket games will be best of 3 (including finals). All losers bracket games will be best of 1 with the exception of the losers finals (bo3).
- Due to semi-late announcement of the tourney the registration will be available until one hour before the tourney will start.
- It is possible to substitute for players who don't show up. If you have signed up, make sure to show up on time. Those who fail to show up will likely be subbed out by 12:30 UTC.
- The players coming first, second and third will receive special unique collectible awards to their player profile, and receive tournament points which will at the year's end determine the year's altogether best tournament player.
The tourney will also feature a FFA map which was included due to shuffle option being implemented into the server allowing randomizing positions of the starting positions.
Round 1: Aquatic Divide
Round 2 & losers round 1: Conquest of Paradise
Round 3 and losers round 2: Sands of Time
Semifinals & losers finals: Ternion
The bracket can be seen here.
Grab your partner, sign up in the comments and we will see you this Saturday.
Zero-K v126.96.36.199 to v188.8.131.52
The last few releases each seemed too small individually for a full release post. But now there is a balance change so here is a release post.
Tank raider buffs, informed by Veh vs Tank testing last week, is the main change for v184.108.40.206. In other versions Area Shields gained priority and an off button as well as a few extra weaknesses. Intel structures also gained priority. Air transport behaviour and logistics automation has been improved and fixed to make them much more rewarding to use.
=== Balance ===
* Kodachi - Line of Sight 520 -> 600
* Panther - Health 980 -> 1100
* Lose all their charge when disabled (disarm, morph, emp, nanoframed).
* Charge rate now obeys slow damage.
* Moved base upkeep to unit cost (+50 cost for Aspis, +45 cost for Aegis).
* Significantly buffed Valkyrie acceleration and brake rate.
* Windgen can be built anywhere.
* Vulture has 700 range radar jamming.
* Raven no longer dives through Detriment.
=== Interface ===
* Added priority for Radar, Sonar, Jammers, Area Cloakers and Area Shields.
* Priority is high by default for Radar, Sonar, Jammers and Area Cloakers.
* Misc Priority can be set in Initial Unit States.
* Added on/off toggle to shields to toggle charging.
* Only raise/lower is now possible to toggle during rectangle terraform selection.
* Smooth can only raise/lower.
* Fixed air transports becoming stuck near the target when trying to load/unload.
* Transports guarding a factory will assist built units in reaching their desired destination.
* Fixed transport AI not obeying an unticked "transport from factory".
* Transport AI Time benefit threshold is now configurable.
* Right clicking on a Aircraft Plant or Airpad with a Crane now does the normal constructor thing (previously it gave a "land to repair" order, messed up assist).
* Disabled clippy.
* Ctrl+Repair now ignores nanoframes in the area.
* Manualfire orders can be given in a line (Dante salvo etc..)
* Nuke warning no longer pushes other bits of the UI out of its way.
=== Fixes ===
* Gauss turret is properly vertically immobile.
* Area mex queues at correct height.
* Fixed reserve values in extended tooltip.
* Fixed Zenith meteor metal bug.
* Fixed Starlight aiming (it now aims at things perfectly) and range.
* Morphed Capturiees draw their capture line correctly.
* Prevented landships.
Zero-K 220.127.116.11 Zenith and Circle Guard
Inspiration hit to both create Circle Guard and make Zenith !Fun!. Circle Guard tells units to walk around their target in a protective manner. Zenith now captures and stores meteors to be released all at once in a devastating volley.
Dynamic tooltips (ones that change while the unit is selected) have been improved and the annoying chat backlog spacing bug has been fixed.
=== Balance ===
* Meteor Nudger -> Meteor Controller.
Now that Zenith is no longer boring it will be worthwhile putting the effort in to make all three superweapons approximately balanced.
=== Circle Guard ===
The circle guard command causes units to circle defensively around their target. To issue one, select the guard command then left click on the target unit and drag a circle. Hold Alt to make the units defend a direction instead of circling. There are other modifiers which will be shown off in a video in the near future.
=== Interface ===
* Terraform cost tooltip updates without reselecting the unit.
* Improved the clarity of grid tooltips.
* Unbound FPS mode (Alt+V).
* Added key and mouse state display widget. Intended for tutorial videos.
* Area Guard commands which includes teleport beacons will not give guard commands to units. Instead it will tell the units to teleport, split between the beacons in the area.
* Teleport beacons can be placed with custom formations.
=== Fixes ===
* Removed TargetMoveError from Commander Lightning, this was the last case.
* Annihilator etc.. no longer have a low power icon while under construction.
* Fixed lagmoniter setting share levels incorrectly.
* Fixed chat backlog spacing bug when the panel is first opened.
* Fixed waited constructors thinking that they are constructing.
* Fixed edge case in spectator panel.
* NullAI is now treated like a real person.
Here is a release with some minor balance changes and fixes. Very little has changed because it appears that very little is broken.
In other news; ClanWars is well underway. Get a clan and follow the thread to play.
=== Balance ===
* Slightly faster while diving (44% -> 50% speed). The weird value of 44% was in place to make it slower than Bandit.
* Range 205 -> 210 (was 220 ages ago)
* Line of Sight 450 -> 500. This is almost as much as Kodachi. Hovercrafts felt too hard to scout with.
* Accuracy doubled(?) (600 -> 300, what does that mean?) so it can now reliably hit Stardust.
* Range 250 -> 260
* Zeus is a bit more accurate.
* Bantha and Scorpion are quite a bit more accurate.
* No longer has perfect information about identified radar dots. Instead it assumes the worst case scenario. An identified dot is assumed to have full health, no status effect and armour (if it is a unit which can armour).
* Groups of units with slow projectiles no longer fire all their shots at aircraft in a futile attempt to hit it. Instead a few will fire just in case they get lucky.
* Removed idle time requirement.
* HP/s 20 -> 10
* Cost 250 -> 150
=== Interface ===
* Improved attrition counter. Added teamgame support.
* Added spectator UI panels with a resource bar for each team. Extra panels and hud presets support are still to come.
* Context menu improvements. One shot weapons do not show DPS.
=== Fixes ===
* Fixed queued underground solar boxes.
* Fixed Tidal energy generation.
* Fixes to economy breakdown in resource panel.
* Fixed wreck transitions for some factories and Impaler.
=== Previous Versions ===
* Added Accept Victory by Default panel which appears if the entire enemy team disconnects. Previously they would just explode. Mainly to save 1v1s from connection issues.
* Fixed energy display on Deluxe Player List.
* Added win counter increment.
* Reduced Thunderbird camera shake (a lot).
RSS feed | news archive