Welcome to Zero-K
- Epic Scale from tiny flea-bots to huge mechs and gigantic superweapons that wreak havoc - hundreds or thousands of units on the battlefield, all easily viewable with a fully pannable and zoomable camera.
- Realistic Physics mean each shot is physically simulated realtime - you can actually evade bullets if you micro-manage your units! Hills and terrain affect line of sight and radar coverage, and explosions deform the terrain.
- Planet Wars lets you take control of your own planet and fight for survival in an ongoing online campaign!
- Natural Balance allows units to depend on their natural characteristics and the benefits of the simulated environment, not contrived special damages to determine their effectiveness.
- Terraforming - change the terrain: walls, ditches, ramps and more, to provide yourself with an extra tactical advantage.
- Unique Abilities make sure units are fun to use! From jump-jets, gravity turrets, mobile shields, burning napalm, air drops, unit morphs - we've got it all and more!
- Streamlined Economy - the economic system is complex without being tedious, with a simple interface and controls. Resources are unlimited and output can be scaled up as the game progresses, allowing for increasingly intense battles. The system is also designed to minimize slippery slope and allow skilled players to make comebacks from losing positions.
Some of the many units to try out include:
There are many even more amazing features, but listing them isn't as fun as trying them out yourself, so visit our Downloads page!
Zero-K is made by the players, for the players. All the game developers are active and experienced players. Balance and fun are assured.
This version has many fixes and some small changes to UI and balance. Economy Panel now displays net income so if you were someone who thinks that is a vital feature you can now try it out. Superweapons are now "balanced" and mobile AA knows how to use mobility to beat Brawler.
=== "Balance" ===
Increased Disco Rave Party weird utility effects:
* Red: Boring old damage, unchanged.
* Orange: 25% larger napalm.
* Yellow: 20% more impulse.
* Green: 50% or so larger smooth radius.
* Blue: 50% more EMP damage and 150% more time.
* Violet: 100% more slow damage.
General Starlight nerf:
* Cost 35k -> 40k
* Health 12k -> 10k
* Groove Cutter damage reduced by 10%. This weapon is the source of almost all Starlight's damage.
=== Unit AI ===
* Added support for units to skirm a unit until it enters range and then swarm it.
* Added Brawler to the swarm list of mobile AA.
* Added tactical AI for Crasher.
=== Interface ===
* Enabled the centralized default UI enabler on the first run of ZK. This has been in place but inactive for the past week. If you have not run ZK in the last week your interface panels will be moved around.
* Economy Panel now has the old Net displayed below the resource icon. Storage is displayed on the storage bars and these bars have customizable width.
* Slow damage is displayed in the Space+Click menu.
* Fixed waypoint dragger widget and renamed it. If anyone had it enabled they need to reenable it.
* Deluxe player list respects visibility setting on load.
* Reduced the Claw (Wolverine mine) radar icon.
=== Fixes ===
* Fixed Air Repair Pads (all types) repairing 50% faster than normal repair for the same energy cost.
* Fixed bug with morphed nanoframes dropping wreckage.
* Drone build progress obeys status effects (Slow, Disarm, EMP).
* Starlight obeys Disarm (Groove Cutter does not yet obey Slow).
* Thunderbird obeys status effects after it starts a run (Slow reduces the fire rate, EMP and Disarm prevent firing).
=== Notable changes between v184.108.40.206 and v220.127.116.11 ===
* Fixed flame effect. Units which are on fire now look like they are on fire.
* New attack sound for Scythe.
* Added many options to the new chat.
* Fixed paralysis threshold. It was accidentally based on maximum health for 2 month. It is now back to current health. Zeus, Panther and Venom were unaffected by the bug.
This release brings new UI features, further sea balance tweaks, and a lot of bugfixes.
=== Balance ===
Some sea units have had their roles further defined, Sonar ranges were increased, and a few units became more reliable:
Raven: cannot target planes anymore.
* Torpedo Range 120 -> 150
* Turn rate 698 -> 740
* Sonar 300 -> 350
* Sonar 250 -> 400
Hunter: hits more reliably.
* Projectile speed 160 -> 400
* Increased projectile turn rate
Urchin: should be better at actual protection due to increased sonar.
* Cost 100 -> 120
* Sonar 320 -> 550
* Sonar 280 -> 300
* Torpedo turnrate 3000 -> 3600
Snake: should fire more reliably; one shots other raiders.
* Health 600 -> 375
* Turnrate 440 -> 600
* Range 310 -> 290
* Fire arc 45' -> 180'
* Damage 250 + 500 slow -> 350 + 700 slow
* Reloadtime 3.8 -> 7.5
* Torpedo turnrate 12000 -> 20000
Crusader: refined its role as artillery.
* Movement velocity 1.9 -> 1.7
* Range 900 -> 1000
* Projectile speed 300 -> 270
Enforcer: better at anti-unit bombardment.
* Turn rate 190 -> 210
* Range 660 -> 690
* Reload time 6 -> 5.5
* Cost 4000 -> 3800
* Movement velocity 2.7 -> 2.2
== Miscellaneous Gameplay Fixes ==
* Crashing planes and gunships leave full wreckage instead of debris when they hit the ground.
* Idle self-repair standardized: most standard units except Banshee, Glaive, Scythe and Kodachi now take 60s to start regenerating at 5 HP/s.
* Djinn's Lamp placement channeling obeys status effects.
* Puppy leaves no wreckage because it seemed to be broken.
* Nuclear missiles no longer collide with features (eg. wreckage or trees).
* Sea units' tactical AI tweaked and improved.
== Trainer Commanders ==
There are new Trainer commanders available for selection, meant to help newbies get familiar with custom commanders. They're available for everyone in addition to their own custom commanders in the new selection menu.
=== UI ===
== Economy Panel ==
The new Economy Panel is now available. It is an alternative to the classic resource bars that puts focus on the resource flow. Make sure to try it out!
== HUD Presets ==
We have introduced HUD presets. These presets automatically set up a decent UI based on various classic RTS UIs. These presets should help us refine the UI as it is easier for people to define a UI and receive feedback. In the future this widget will set the UI to the default on the first run, this bit is currently disabled to let our current players get past the 'first run' without messing up their UI. The new default UI includes a much better chat widget so try it out.
== Miscellaneous ==
* Team colours are more distinct.
* Cleaned up the new chat 'ProConsole' which is now enabled by default.
* Added On/Off state to New Unit States.
* Added Colourblind mode to resource display.
* Mission Objectives button goes grey if no unread objectives are present.
* Added a non-UI tooltip delay (units and features in the game world). This defaults to 0.5s and can be configured through the HUD Settings menu.
* Facpanel now shows proper unit queue.
* Facpanel has drag'n'drop like integral.
* Incomplete Protectors' coverage is shown with a washed out teal circle instead of a white one .
=== Bugfixes ===
* Fixed Outlaw closing allied Solars.
* Fixed Outlaw wave being visually larger than actual AoE.
* Fixed bombers set to "always low" rising after bombing.
* Fixed Razor lacking wreckage.
* Fixed Brawler wreckage orientation.
* Fixed Starlight working under EMP.
* Fixed an overdrive exploit with Energy Investment Payback mode.
* Fixed Djinn teleport not resetting progress on external movement (eg. transport or Newtons).
* Fixed Amph Regen ignoring slowdamage.
* Fixed broken diacritics in some Polish translations.
* Fixed slowdamage permanently reducing cons' repair speed and increasing resurrection speed.
* Fixed resource generation for Mariner, Athena and most factories.
* Fixed ship hitvolumes.
* Fixed Ada's Commander (campaign) leaving Strike wreckage.
* Fixed terrain obscuring mex circles.
ZK 2v2 Tournament August 23rd 2014
This month's tournament, in 2v2 format, will be held on 23rd August 2014, starting at 10:00 UTC (10AM). The winners will receive the usual awards of 75, 50 and 25 kudos for gold, silver and bronze places respectively.
Registration is open until 23:59 UTC of August 22nd. Keep in mind that due to daylight savings time in UK is UTC+1, in Central Europe UTC+2, etc. Current time in UTC can be seen here.
Players and teams not present at the start time will have a 30 minute grace period, after which they will have a choice of accepting a substitute, forfeiting, or playing as possible (e.g. 2v1).
The bracket will be seeded and sorted by teams' average elo after the registration closes.
You can view the current bracket here.
- Single elimination
- First map of each round is predetermined, the following maps will be selected by the loser of the previous game from the featured 1v1 map pool.
- Finals are best of 5, all other matches including the bronze match are best of 3.
- Default ZK version of Spring Engine will be used. If both teams in a round agree to use a different version, it may be used for that round.
As always, there are no skill restrictions on signing up and any teams of two players are welcome to participate. To sign up, make a post indicating so in this thread!
The main changes in this version are for the ongoing sea rework. Duck has significantly less range underwater which should make it counterable.
=== Sea ===
* Duck torpedo range halved.
* Claymore recieved a number of small buffs, most notably to its health. It has had its cost increase slightly to compensate.
* Snake has fast forwards firing torpedos. Now has skirmish AI.
* Hunter tweaked to have burst-fire effect, but similar behavior. Given slight impact to help slow down attacking raiders and repel floating amphibs.
* Skeeter is slightly faster.
* Crusader depth charges nerfed for tracking slightly.
* Typhoon gained damage increased slightly.
Urchin has slightly more sonar range.
=== Other Changes ===
Kamikaze units (Tick, Blastwing, Dirtbag, Roach, Skuttle, Puppy) drop wreckage.
* The visualization is less spammy.
* Large shields are better at transferring charge between themselves.
Fixed Cloakybot Factory animation and Slasher aiming.
RSS feed | news archive