This version includes some nice unit AI improvements and continues the ongoing sea rework. There are some major changes to sea and the Amphibious factory should fare better on land. The most notable sea change is the addition of a depthcharge hovercraft, the Claymore, and the removal of Scalpels underwater missiles. The Claymore is quite a silly unit but we may as well try out something !Fun! before sea has any balance which can be broken.
Added Claymore - a somewhat suicidal antiswarm depthcharge hovercraft. It fires Roach-sized depthcharges at short range with the hope that whatever it is targeting is far enough underwater to prevent it from killing itself. It does less well against surface targets. On land it is able to drop the depthcharge which will bounce around for a few seconds before exploding.
Scalpel can no longer shoot into water.
- Damage 230 -> 140
- Reload Time 3 -> 3.5
- DPS increased by 33%
- Range 280 -> 300
- Cost 150 -> 80
- Health 400 -> 240
- Speed 2.7 -> 2.8
- Damage 430 -> 230
- Health 1700 -> 1750
- Range 280 -> 240
- Health 1300 -> 1700
- Speed 2.3 -> 2.4
- Range 340 -> 260
- Reload Time 5 -> 4.5
- Has Crusader level AoE.
- Cost 400 -> 350
- Cost 700 -> 550
- Damage 860 -> 950
- Can target Hovercraft.
- Damage 400 -> 220
- Reload 5 -> 3.5
- Range 350 -> 330
Repair Pads now drain energy when repairing. An individual pad has 2.5 Build Power.
- Cost 320 -> 300
- Health 320 -> 450
- Fixed script, it will now aim more rapidly.
- Updated description.
- Air units are now diverted to Air Repair Pads when told to retreat.
- Avengers use Boost when starting to retreat.
- Jumpjet units Jump when starting to retreat.
Units skirmishing with Tactical AI now take height difference into account when determining how far away they should be from their target. Scallop now has different behaviour when underwater or on land to take advantage of its separate weapon characteristics.
- Zombie mode can be played on any map via a modoption.
- Active modoptions are displayed at the start of the game.
- There is a modoption to mute spectators. This mostly deals with accidental abuse as lobby chat is still visible.
- Puppy creation has a graphical effect.
This release messes with some underused Jumpjet units and makes Pyro less frustrating. There are some other minor things such as an easy way to split targets when using area attack. On the infrastructure front we have completely split 1v1 and Everything Else ELO.
Moderator is more expensive and now has a high reload time Disruptor Beam.
Pyro aims much faster and has a little overshoot.
Placeholder has a slightly smaller Area of Effect and significantly increased duration.
- Speed 1.4 -> 1.8
Support Commanders Build Power increase has been flattened to +2 per level starting at level 1.
- CTRL+area_attack will split target among selected unit.
- There is a new marker 'ping' sound and the maximum number of marker sounds at once is 3.
- New Heaving Particle Beam sound.
- Blackdawn description: Heavy Raider/Riot Gunship -> Heavy Raider/Assault Gunship
- A small window will pop-up to show active non-default modoptions.
- Improvement for Edge Extension visual effects.
- Fixed an Overdrive error.
- Fixes for airplane rearming.
- Removed lagmonitor at game end to prevent fluctuating unit transfer.
- Morphing a unit no longer kills its drones.
- Fixed Penetrator wreck.
Capture the Flag mode is now live and sea has received a significant rework. The Ship factory has been redesigned and torpedoes can hit hovercraft. Spiders have a new unit and there are some tweaks to other units. Performance should be improved, especially in the lategame.
The Redback has been added to act as a conventional riot unit for the Spider factory. It is armed with a particle beam. Beefy wheeled raiders will give it trouble so use terrain (and Venoms) to your advantage.
Capture the Flag mode can now be enabled. The default mode adds flag capture as a victory condition. Additionally there are options to add Commander respawn and flag based resource income. See the wiki page for more information: http://zero-k.info/Wiki/CaptureTheFlag
All Ships and Subs are effectively new units so their changes will not be stated here. They are generally cheaper and have better defined roles.
Torpedoes can now hit hovercraft. Amphibious unit health regeneration is now based on water depth, not unit height. The main effect is that floating units heal at their full rate.
- Cost 350 -> 280
- Health 1200 -> 1250
- Damage 330 -> 310
- Can shoot into water.
- Always turns at full speed, this will significantly reduce time spent accelerating after small turns.
- Range 155 -> 170
- AoE 320 -> 352
- Reload Time 2.5 -> 3
- Significantly improved overdrive performance. This will be noticeable lategame.
- Razor's Kiss -> Razor
- Disarm damage is transferred when you morph.
- Capture hierarchy is preserved through morph.
- Fixed Mace and Lotus beam stutter.
- Minor unit selection shapes fixes.
- Minor fixes to aircraft rearming.
- Raise terraform snaps to increments of 6 when Alt is held. This is the height required to block vehicles.
- Fixed a delay in updating the movement speed of slowed ground units.
- Speed 3.7 -> 3.4
- HP 1050 -> 980
- Reduced target move error (it can hit fast land units).
- AoE 128 -> 192.
- Weapon velocity 400 -> 600.
- Ground area damage 60 -> 20.
- Ground area duration 300 -> 400.
Goliath now has 3x the RoF for it's slow beam but 1/3rd the damage. This reduces the degradation of slow damage between shots.
Damaged units decloak regardless of whether they are in LOS. Previously they would not decloak if no enemy would be able to see them. There may be some change to recloak timings.
The endgame stats window should no longer have missing players.
Fixed the "Skip pregame chatter" button on the replay control window.
Fixed some aircraft landing pad behaviour.
"new zk build has delicious balance... it feels wonderfull to play the game" - Kyubey
The main purpose of this release is to broaden Vehicle play to units beyond the Scorcher and to fix Panther. With a range reduction it is much less able to kite raiders, forcing the Vehicle player to invest in other counters. Panther has been significantly reworked because the unit was never well designed in the first place.
Feedback on these changes has been good so it is time for a release! Panther may not be done but it is a lot better than it was before.
- Range 310 -> 270
- Heatrays are more intelligent, when targeting they have an increased bias towards closer targets.
- Reload time 2 -> 1.8 s
- Speed 2 -> 2.2
- Impulse 0.5 -> 0.6
Panther. Reverted to old version as base for the following changes:
- Speed 3.9 -> 3.7
- Damage 160 -> 220
- EMP damage 800 -> 500
- Reload time 2 -> 3
- Has a death explosions with 256 AoE and 600 EMP damage
- Initial impact AoE 72 -> 128 (to match ground burn AoE)
- Projectile speed 320 -> 400
- Damage 400 -> 430, this makes it 1 shot Mexes, Scorcher and itself.
- Range 700 -> 420
Light Particle Beam
- Damage 40 -> 41 - now one-shots Fleas
- Range 385 -> 330
- Cost 100 -> 50
- Damage 180 -> 405 - one-shots Ducks
- Reload time 1.2 -> 2.7
- Range 400 -> 450
- Reload time 1.5 -> 1.40625
- Real damage 250 -> 225
- Comm literal nametags can be turned off in options
- Edge Extension: Brightness can be configured when using realistic texture
- Fixed incorrect display of unit names in tooltip with non-English languages
- Fixed Core Selector buttons doing things even if moused was moved off button and released
- Wind output is displayed in the tooltip during placement.
- Added a numerical metal point display option.
- New weapon sounds for Scallop as well as Commander HMG and Shotgun (thanks Superintendent).
- New commander under attack siren sound.
- Unit selection, order received and commander under attack volumes are configurable through the menu.
- Clam renamed to Conch
- Fixed Hermit being referred to by its old name in Spider Factory helptext
- Commander Heat Ray damage 38 -> 41
- Commander Disintegrator AoE 64 -> 48 (same as the Ultimatum Dintegrator AoE)
- Minor fix to bloom widget
- New Polish helptexts for several units
- Regeneration rate 57 -> 50 charge per second.
- Cost 800 -> 760
- Turret tolerance 180 -> 90 degrees
- Cost 600 -> 550
- Damage 70 -> 80
- Speed 3.9 -> 3.6
- Normal Damage 160 -> 180
- EMP Damage 800 -> 1600
- Reload Time 2.5s -> 3s
- Max Paralysis time 1s -> 2s
Fixed fixedwing and bomber unit type detection in gadgets for 95.0+. This was causing the "bombers fail to shoot" issue and probably some others but nobody noticed those.
Reduced debris damage 50 -> 20. This is mainly because debris damage was previously 0 and Blastwing became ridiculous.
Fixed Tick ejection from transports.
Amphibious units now automatically float when a transport is told to load them.
- Updated Bloom shader to use in-shader Gaussian distribution. This allows for resolution-independence, and seems to perform better, at least on 2-year-old or newer graphics cards.
- Removed Blur and Glow Amplifier settings, and Dilate pass setting from Bloom shader. Added Maximum Highlight Brightness setting, which sets the maximum brightness that will be added to the scene.
- Modified bloom thresholding to smoothly threshold. Pixels near the threshold add nearly nothing, and it scales linearly to Maximum Brightness.
This update includes a slight nerf to the Vehicle factory and some fairly dramatic changes to Jumpbots. Behind the scenes we are working on compatibility with the latest development versions of the engine.
Experimental Freaker change:
- Cost 240 -> 160
- BP 7.5 -> 5
- Health 650 -> 550
- Speed 2.25 -> 2.1
- Armed with a Slowbeam which has about 1/2 the range and 1/4 the DPS of Moderator.
The Placeholder is now buildable from the Jumpbot Factory. It is a support unit designed to suck opposing units into a clump and prevent them from escaping. Once some units are stuck they can be destroyed by the many short range AoE or face-melting weapons at the Jump Factory's disposal.
- Speed 2.95 -> 2.9
- Projectile Speed 230 -> 215 (Thug is 200 for comparision).
- Cost 140 -> 150
- Damage 45 -> 40
- Post-capture reload 8s -> 12s
Gauss Turret and Scrubber projectiles can only damage each unit they pass through once. Other Gauss projectiles will gain this behaviour when we move to the new engine because it is difficult to implement in 91.0.
Air transports have gained the ability to eject their cargo mid flight.
Kodachi projectile is now ballistic instead of a missile. Kodachi and Firewalker projectiles have new effects.
Damage dealt by flying debris has changed. The amount of debris from a Blastwing explosion has been tweaked to compensate.
The stop command no longer cancels Newton firezones. There is a dedicated command for this purpose.
Polish unit descriptions have been added for many units.
- AoE 256 -> 192
- Damage 2500 -> 2000
- Brawler cost 850 -> 800
- Multi-Stunner, +12.5% AoE, +25% spread, +100% duration, +8.5% damage
- Disintegrator Gun, ~10% more reload time
- Shock Rifle, 5% less range
- SLAM, +43% reload time, +35% damage
Spidercon income 0.15 -> 0.225 in order to conform to the income standard used by all other cons (bp x 0.03). Standarized all facs' income to 0.25.
Revert to Zero-K v126.96.36.199 in an attempt to exterminate the desyncs once and for all.
- Fixed vanishing nanolasers when LuaShaders was disabled
- Fixed nanospray to aim at midpos instead of base pos
- Fixed various issues with Ghost Site
- Fixed various 95.0 compatibility issues
- Fixed Flame Enhancer Module - doesn't stack for every other comm design in the battle that has one (counting multiple levels!!) and applies correctly for napalm artillery.
- Funnelweb cost 6000 -> 4500
- Fixed various units' hitvolumes.
- Fixed some compatibility issues with Spring 95.0.
- Removed Gravity Lift Attack.
- Reduced shield power to that of ordinary shields for the sake of consistency.
- Removed cloak from large drone.
- Added Stealth to both drones.
- Health 16k -> 11k
- Reduced drone spawn times.
- Fixed a crash with Russian localization.
- Fixed missing awards.
- Restore models reverted in Zero-K v188.8.131.52.
- Revert several gameplay features implemented or modified after v184.108.40.206 in an attempt to fix desyncs.
- Stunned Starlights stop working.
- Night view obscures fewer things.
- New menu icons.
- Fixed missing stats window in missions.
- Replaced "press Enter to search" in menus with a proper button.
- Improvements to blurry halo and factory panel.
- Fixed some key conflicts with inserting commands.
- Fixed the long-standing Licho jamming bug.
- Reverted some model changes in an attempt to fix desyncs.
- Implemented some Russian language support.
- Cost 280 -> 220
- Damage 220 -> 350
- Point marker events in chat are now clickable.
- Chat bubbles now off by default.
- Fixed missions being completely broken.
- Thanks to hmessadaa and mojjj for the report.
- Chili facpanel: Fixed bug when spectating and selecting the factory of a new player. Added sound trigger for giant eraser click (needs a cooler sound).
- Wreckages and other features are pushed out of factories as well; this fixes obstructions which prevent the factory from building.
- Thanks to sfireman for inspiring this change.
- Added a new "no Elo" modoption, for unranked games. Defaults to off.
It is easy to make releases when there is very little added since the most recent version. The changes are well understood and with the auto updater nobody is inconvenienced. It could be difficult to track the changes so here is a summary of the changes since v220.127.116.11.
We have a nice new endgame stats screen which fits with the rest of the UI. Currently it only displays the old stats but as soon as someone has the time it should be easy enough to slot new stats in.
- Impulse reduced to 75%
- Max Range 400 -> 300
- Reload Time 3 -> 4
- Damage 300 -> 400
- Projectile homes.
- Removed AoE
- Reduced missile turnrate
- Significantly reduced turn radius
- Health 920 -> 1100
- Reduced turn radius
- Disarm time 13s -> 16s
- Speed 7.8 -> 7.6
- Increased aiming speed to match the old Chainsaw model.
- Cost 7k -> 8k
Anti air now prefers to shoot at Bombers, then Gunships, then Fighters.
- Fighters crash closer to their death location.
- Fixed Chainsaw, Gauss and Amphib Factory hitvolumes.
- Fixed crash in Space+Click in context menu for viewing death explosion.
- Transported units increase teleport speed correctly.
- Fixed graphical bug in Teleporter wire.
- Feature-Unit collision now does damage to the unit as if it were in a Unit-
- Fixed Venom helptext.
- Tweaked Detriment animation.
- Update tooltip and helptext of Stiletto and Racketeer.
- Fixed Vulture script crash.
In this version we've accumulated more changes than would be expected for 3 weeks work. On the visuals front we have a new Chainsaw model by aiphee and many new wreckages by Kerr. The Improved Newtons widget by Wolas has been added with improvement and modification. There are some small tweaks to balance as well as more major mechanics changes.
The raiders for the Tank and Amphibious factories are now slightly more powerful although Duck lost it's homing. Archer has much better accuracy and reliability. Phoenix and Shadow have been buffed as part of the ongoing bomber rebalance. Krow is 10% cheaper.
The Shock Rifle, Disintegrator and Torpedo Launcher have been tweaked. SLAM Rocket has been reworked into a vertical launch weapon.
Scouting should be more 'interesting' now that we've blocked or nerfed some of the most powerful ways to scout. Athena has an increase decloak radius, Fighters have reduced LOS and Newton launched units have spherical LOS. Vulture has more LOS in an attempt to promote 'conventional' scouting.
Stiletto and Racketeer now deal their own kind of disable damage called Disarm. It acts exactly like EMP except that it does not prevent movement and units flash yellow instead of blue. If you're on the receiving end of a disarm attack you can choose to retreat or push onwards, this is better gameplay than a long EMP time Stiletto after which you can just sit back and watch your units die with chance to change the outcome.
The old Detriment was detrimental for FFA play so it now moves slower and hits softer. In addition to this air transports slow down when transporting very heavy units. A Vindicator transporting a Detriment moves at about 25% speed.
Venom - Gains some damage so it is easier to use vs Fleas
- Deals 18 normal damage in addition to the EMP.
- Cost 320 -> 300,
- Turret turn rate increased.
- Weapon velocity 260 -> 320.
- Turret turn rate increased 60%.
- Cost 180 -> 150.
- Has the old inaccurate weapon.
- Cost 250 -> 200
- Speed 2.3 -> 2.5
- Removed stream arc
- Significantly improved accuracy
- Added AoE
- Cost 400 -> 360
- Health 850 -> 920
- Speed 7.6 -> 7.8
- Cost 5k -> 4.5k
- LOS 690 -> 520
- LOS 790 -> 750
- LOS 1200 -> 1400
- Sonar 1200 -> 1400
- Increased maneuverability
- Decloak distance 50 -> 125
- Speed 1.626 -> 1.2
- Gauss damage reduced 20%
Transports move more slowly when transporting heavy loads. A Vindicator with a Detriment moves at about 25% speed. A Vidicator with a Bantha or a Funnelweb moves at 50% speed. Most other units cause the transports to move between 80% and 100% speed.
Gibs (flying debri from unit explosions) now deals damage. It was accidentally removed. This change most affects Blastwing.
- Cost 700 -> 600
- Disarm instead of paralysis (see below)
- Projectile homes
- Disarm instead of paralysis (see below)
Stiletto and Racketeer now use the disarm status effect. Disarm is the same as EMP except that it does not disable movement. This aims to make the units more interesting while making them able to be balanced. There is more player interaction when your opponent has the option to retreat the disabled units.
Disarm stacks with EMP. Any disarm damage dealt is treated as if it is on top of the EMP damage taken by a unit. A partially EMPed unit is easier to disarm and a partially disarmed unit can be disarmed with some EMP damage.
Slow damage now affects metal and energy incomes. It is now easy to implement this so I did so.
Ground units which are launched into the sky have reduced LOS which approximates a sphere. This is to nerf newton scouting
- Shock rifle range down by 10% (now 630)
- Commander Disintegrator reload time up by 12.5% (now 18 s)
- Torpedo Launcher reload time down to 1.2 s for 150 damage per second (+67% to DPS)
SLAM Rocket reworked to a vertical launch missile artillery weapon
- New name: "S.L.A.M."
- Very long flight time (8-9 seconds on flat terrain)
- Full damage on every unit in the 160-elmo area of effect
- 1120 damage per missile while reloading takes 21 seconds
- Scythe no longer smokes while damaged and cloaked.
- Fixed rare overhead icon movement stutter.
- Partially built and partially EMPed units no longer look fully EMPed.
- Fixed terrain texture black stripes. Added update speed limit which should significantly improve fps while scouting large pieces of terraform.
New model for Chainsaw by aiphee!
New Wreck models for:
- Black Dawn
- Chainsaw (The New One)
- Rocko (Replaces Generic Wreck)
- Scythe (Replaces Generic Wreck)
- Reef Wreck has been fixed
New animation for a firing Outlaw; the old wiggle has been removed.
Stiletto and Racketeer weapon effects are white to indicate that they disarm.
Kamikaze damage statistics have been added to the contextual unit description windows.
Shield healthbar is now blue. Jump reload bar is now red (pinkish). This is to cut down on the number of teal bars.
The Improved Newtons widget has been added by default. It has an improved UI which works nicely with the command menu.
SLAM rocket nerf:
- 17% less damage (now 680)
- 12% less range (now 750)
- New unit, the I Win Button (requires modoption). Good for speedy resolution of SpeedMetal games.
- New Gauss turret model, by Anarchid.
- Any cargo in a transport counts towards its Djinn teleport time.
- Blastwing description: Bomb Drone -> Flying Bomb.
- Fixed a crash in lag monitor that was preventing games from ending.
- Fixed a rare crash in the shield link gadget.
- Fixed Lups particles (jet flames, etc.) being duplicated when a unit is partially unbuilt then rebuilt.
- Thanks to versus666 for the report.
- Funnelweb requires unlocking to be built.
SLAM Rocket redesign:
- Reload time increased to 20 from 12 (+67%)
- Damage reduced to 820 from 1200 (-32%)
- Launch angle increased to about 65 degrees (22.7 times more)
- Area of effect radius increased by 150%
- Area of effect strength coefficient increased by 50%
- Projectile speed reduced by about 50%
- Games played on silly maps no longer affect Elo or Elo weight (they still give XP).