TLDR: 

Qrow is attempting a hostile takeover of Zero-K and the wider engine community. Be wary of any software he publishes, such as Shiro.I've been putting this off in favour of doing useful things, but I just put out a large update so now it is time for this thread. I don't want to write this post but it appears to have become necessary. As such, any trolls that pop in to leave their irrelevant 2¢ will be liberally moderated.
Back in June


Qrow revealed to


Electricboogoloo that his end goal was a hostile takeover of Zero-K (as well as BAR and the engine as a whole).


Electricboogoloo was concerned and shared this chat log and given me permission to reproduce it:
[Spoiler]quote: Chat log from 5/14/2026 8:08 PM to 5/14/2026 8:57 PM
  Electricboogoloo: big thinking right now
  Qrow: big thinking
  Qrow: what thinking
  Electricboogoloo: lot of things
  Electricboogoloo: im not angry but im feeling frustration
  Qrow: hunh
  Qrow: my man big typin
  Electricboogoloo: I see the potential value and vision of these things you keep adding and respect the idea. They are not bad things, but im looking at this from a prospective of what feels needed. were in a crisis of players committing to staying more active and an effort to recruit., I do not see adding things that were not asked for like this 1v1 que system to be the key to the growth of something we both love. my brain switches to an efficient use of resources equation and my current view is one of the merit of more simplicity as an attractive option for people, more than the idea of additional complexity in systems that only players who are already participating in similar systems and practices
  Electricboogoloo: / just getting more players
  Qrow: I think I have told you this at some point but
  Qrow: eventually the goal for Fightorder is to gain a majority playerbase to take primary control of the game out of the current admins hands
  Qrow: so it is vitally important we advertise having superior features to the main game within our organization to slowly start shifting things over
  Electricboogoloo: I dont think you ever mentioned this specifically to me
  Qrow: at some point we will also (already in progress) release a superior lobby client
  Qrow: and then start redirecting rapid and file uploads onto fightorder
  Electricboogoloo: theres lots to go over here
  Qrow: and at that point, we will have taken control by seizing the main methods of which people obtain resources to play the game
  Qrow: which is the goal
  Electricboogoloo: 1 is this a on objective that is exclusively yours
  Qrow: i think it is indirectly shared by a majority of the playerbase
  Qrow: who wants aquanim around really
  Electricboogoloo: I know of no others working on these ideas, having these discussions or building code for these kinds of projects
  Qrow: yes
  Electricboogoloo: ok
  Electricboogoloo: so
  Qrow: that is because i am doing it alone
  Electricboogoloo: I will credit taking reigns by force IF need be, I respect asertion on an issue, but I have a great deal of complex issues relating to it that will need to be adressed
  Qrow: sure
  Qrow: but be aware that the reason that these resources are being developed in secretly is purely strategic
  Qrow: it does suck to do it alone
  Qrow: but
  Qrow: if we tell people about it, the advantages we have will simply be yoinked into the current client as features
  Electricboogoloo: I think fundamentally a schism in the community is extremally dangerous
  Qrow: so we need a completely finished product in order to grab people all at once
  Qrow: we have already survived one and were better after it than before, we will survive again
  Electricboogoloo: I also see a great deal of danger in an out wright breakaway branch
  Electricboogoloo: not denying it has its perks
  Qrow: we have also already done this and were fine
  Qrow: additionally, steps are being taken in order to secure the github and licensing for the original spring engine which recoil relies on the licensing for
  Qrow: so if we can secure that, we bag zero-k and BAR at the same time
  Electricboogoloo: it worked out because client last time was spring speration thats far diffrent than game state dying for honestly a slew of other reasons and issues with old guard admin
  Qrow: because no one who works on those games now actually holds the licenses for them
  Electricboogoloo: so I do not see them as the same
  Qrow: tbf the current ones we got are actually fine compared to the other ones
  Qrow: but, assuming the plan goes well:
  Qrow: we grab the licensing and ownership of the springRTS engine, and by extension recoil, we immediately assume control over ZeroK and BAR by means of controlling their license and then (this is already done) we simply set up new file and SPADS autohosts and then badaboom
  Qrow: release a new client and the world is ours
  Qrow: spring engine can be unified once more
  Electricboogoloo: thats an insane stretch and I think goes out of bounds with the idea of capture market on an engine thats already open source
  Qrow: i dont see how its an insane stretcg
  Electricboogoloo: I suspect insane clapback and even legal action
  Qrow: also its only open source now because the underlying engine is open source
  Qrow: if I (legally of course) can obtain ownership of the main SpringRTS engine branch
  Qrow: I will, by extension, control use of its assets in recoil
  Qrow: and then I can just tell Zero-K/BAR to not use their assets
  Qrow: games both die unless (as of course, is the plan) I simply rehost them
  Qrow: There is a small issue
  Qrow: regarding whos in charge of the steam page
  Qrow: but I think I can bargain around that by threatening to kill their game, so im not too worried
  Electricboogoloo: I suspect that is impossible, I guarantee they have legal protections and there are already to many things that are still in ownership by individual participants
  Qrow: well, unless they plan on de-open sourcing the game prior to me suprise jumping them
  Qrow: I do not suspect thats possible
  Qrow: also its an open source engine that the owner of threw out the window and went on garden leave
  Qrow: i highly doubt
  Electricboogoloo: open source contributors can just pull their contributions
  Qrow: yeah, but not before we make a proprietary brance and put it under license
  Qrow: and of course, because we know that they don't know we're about to do this to them
  Qrow: we have the timing advantage in all of this, even down to the time zone selection
  Qrow: we can have it done, reupped and rehosted in their sleep
  Electricboogoloo: you able to hop in a channel?
  Qrow: not rn at work
  Electricboogoloo: damn
  Qrow: but think about it
  Qrow: a chance to guarantee the future of zero-K and also restore springRTS to being what it once was?
  Electricboogoloo: maybe
  Electricboogoloo: I have some strong opinions on this. some valid concerns and assessments. I would like a chance to offer my two cents before anything drastic. As it stands Im not currently sold on this course of action, and also have a great deal of misgiving a unilateral approach that per the current understanding I have seems outright underhanded and wrong. I would like to go into deeper discussion on this.
  Qrow: don't worry, we can't actually do anything about this for another half a year or so
  Qrow: there is much time
  Electricboogoloo: I as much as you seethe problem with the current state of admin
  Qrow: I have to physically go to germany to do any of this so
  Electricboogoloo: lets table this for now. This requires undivided attention.
  Electricboogoloo: of which I think were both at work lol
  Electricboogoloo: not sure how your getting this much free time at your own work
  Qrow: i dont do anything at work
  Qrow: except for sometimes
  Qrow: and then i do the job of 6 people
|
Some context:
-


Qrow has been around since 2014 and has been particularly active in the last two years, if the rating graphs are any guide.
-


Qrow is a bit of an ideas guy, but one that can execute. E.g. he came up with the Train Factory and has shown up to many, but not all, of the tournaments he has run.
-


Qrow started running the Lobster Roll tournament series in 2021 and set up the Zero-K tournament discord server as part of this.
-
The tournament server took over as the semi-public place for Zero-K voice chat after running official voice channels become impossible due to abuses that we lacked the capacity to moderate.
The chat log above was concerning but not urgent. We gave


Qrow space to give up on the scheme or for people to talk him out of it. With time he might realise that splitting the community in the way he was suggesting would not help anyone.
In late August


Qrow released his lobby client, Shiro. This was surprising since I don't recall him ever revealing that he was making a lobby client, although he had dropped cryptic comments in the preceding weeks. Extra lobbies are by no means bad and are even somewhat of a tradition in Spring. But it was a bit concerning given the chat log we had received plus other communication. I was later told that Shiro was meant to test whether Zero-K really was open source, the logic being that if we did not add it to Zero-K it would prove that we were actually "closed". That isn't really how any of this works though,


Qrow has not offered to put any parts of Shiro into the rest of Zero-K, and integration is likely impossible because Shiro runs on a different underlying system.
In early September I was told that


Qrow had reported the Zero-K GitHub project for some sort of license violation, probably to do with not being properly open source, and had received an "inconclusive" assessment. He seemed to be making good on his promise to take over Zero-K, plus if any third parties take any heed of his nonsense it could waste a lot of time for everyone involved. This prompted some members of his tournament Discord server to move to a new server and they seem to have shifted everyone across. On my end I became resigned to eventually writing this post.
As a "light intermission" I think it would be useful to unpick just how badly


Qrow has misunderstood open source.
quote:
  Qrow: additionally, steps are being taken in order to secure the github and licensing for the original spring engine which recoil relies on the licensing for
  Qrow: so if we can secure that, we bag zero-k and BAR at the same time
  Electricboogoloo: it worked out because client last time was spring speration thats far diffrent than game state dying for honestly a slew of other reasons and issues with old guard admin
  Qrow: because no one who works on those games now actually holds the licenses for them
  Electricboogoloo: so I do not see them as the same
  Qrow: tbf the current ones we got are actually fine compared to the other ones
  Qrow: but, assuming the plan goes well:
  Qrow: we grab the licensing and ownership of the springRTS engine, and by extension recoil, we immediately assume control over ZeroK and BAR by means of controlling their license and then (this is already done) we simply set up new file and SPADS autohosts and then badaboom |
It seems to me like the fundamental confusion here is between projects and licenses. The open source GPL license that Zero-K is published under means that anyone can take the code to adapt or reuse provided they also publish it under the same license, retaining the requirement that further derivatives are able to be reused and adapted. Nobody owns or controls the code. Technically each individual contributor has copyright over their contributions, but when offering their code for inclusion they did so with a GPL license. So


Qrow cannot "secure control" of the licenses for Spring, Recoil, BAR, Zero-K or any other piece of open source software. It's an incoherent concept.
Projects are a different matter. The main Zero-K project on GitHub has owners and people who ultimately control which changes get made and what gets released. Every single open source project works this way, with some set of people who manage it. Being licensed under the GLP just means anyone can fork the project and work on their own version, not that every project is obliged to integrate all changes. I don't know what German law he is referring, but if it could knock out the foundation of the entire open source software movement, then I probably would have heard of it. Sometimes projects need forks, but the first step for an active project is to try contributing to the main repository, which


Qrow has not shown a great amount of interest in doing.
There is more general information in
Cold Take #25 - Completely Free.
So, where do we go from here? My naive hope is that


Qrow realises that nobody (apart from a few people with their own axes to grind) wants what he is doing and subsequently snaps out of it. Thus far in DMs he has denied the allegations, accused me of being systematically against him for the past six months, and besmirched the old members of his Discord server. His main talking point is that, after releasing Shiro, he asked for an API call that would let lobbies fetch the user list, even offline users. This would involve sending millions of usernames to anyone who requests them, significantly straining the server. I said it wasn't happening and if he didn't know why, then I didn't have the time to explain. His request was a bit ambiguous so I may have misunderstood what he wanted, but I also lacked the time to draw his real request out of him, not when I knew the intent behind Shiro.
Perhaps the main reason I'm writing this post is that I don't trust someone with


Qrow's stated goals not to put malware in his lobby. It might be fine if he were just someone with an abandoned Discord server and an axe to grind, but he is writing software and trying to make connections to spread his nonsense. But he has done quite shady things and I don't know what he might stoop to in the future, so I can't in good conscience sit on this forever, even if I think the chance of malware is currently rather low. This post also acts as something substantive to reference for when I feel the need to explain why I am not supporting anything


Qrow does from this point on, at least unless he credibly comes to his senses. Banning him may be wise, and that is certainly an option he can force, but I am not sure what it would achieve.
I have to thank


Electricboogoloo for being the main one to bring this up, although he is not the only source as I have talked to others about


Qrow. To me


Qrow was mainly an enthusiastic community member who could be a bit unreliable and prone to melodrama, but who was otherwise trying to write guides and run events to grow Zero-K.