Please help me decide what to make by describing what do you value the most in the good maps or draw some shitty paint graphics concepting your ideal map layout.
I might bring out my mighty (not existing) art skills to give you a map concept, but first you need to have a clear idea of what you actually want to have.
You definitely have to decide on multiple points:
- preferred team size (1v1,4v4,7v7+) and adjust map size and metal spots accordingly
- symmetrical or asymmetrical map, I prefer point symmetrical or diagonal symmetrical (corner vs corner) maps
- do you want to support sea or land on this map, I tried pretty hard to make all facs viable on a map which resulted in a total disaster and was a shit ton of work to make everything path properly
(e.g dont forget subs need deeper water then normal ships, veh and even bot pathing can suck (especially with water involved) and you have to check everything for all facs)
- do you want a flat map or a more hilly map (veh/bots/spider favored or even a mix?)
General layout stuff:
- make 1 intended start spot (3mex) per player and maybe 1-3 smaller starts close by (2-3mex) for either expansion or extra players.
Dont randomly spam mexes without purpose as you can direct which parts of the map get more attention. Maps with lots of scattered mex feel worse in my opinion, as pushing forward doesnt feel like a big accomplishment if you only get 1 mex more. At the same time parts of the map might be contested even without mex, if they hold significant strategic value.
- Use terrain to create narrows but always leave multiple options to move around
- make some spots to easily defend your base and close expansions but dont support porc fortresses in middle sections of the map as they tend to be boring and make it very hard to come back if one side captures the spot.
General mapping stuff:
- test if you can make a map which launches in Zero-k first before trying anything else, this really helps in troubleshooting and reduces stress later on
- try to use 2.0m mex as these feel the most natural (adjustable by colour density and mapinfo)
- only apply better textures if you are really sure the hightmap and the map itself is good as you can waste quite some time here. (You should do this after you tested it yourself AND some other players had their opinion)
- dont hesitate to ask when things arent working, as you can often get stuck at easily solvable stuff.