Name:    Password:    (Forgot password / username? / Create an account)
Forum index  > News   >

Multiplatform Zero-K lobby

Post comment

Pages: 1 2
68 posts, 3376 views
CZrankAdminLicho
18 months ago
(edited 18 months ago)

There is now a new Zero-K lobby, I hope that auto-upgrade worked well on your system :)

This new version also works on Linux and should work on Mac with little tweaks.

To install on Linux, run something like that:

quote:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:spring/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install spring mono-complete xprintidle p7zip wget
wget http://zero-k.info/lobby/Zero-K.exe
mono Zero-K.exe

On Windows there is now a new feature to use external browser instead of built in, and lots of little tweaks.

Both platforms now share identical executable and self update at the same time.

Unfortunately that means I had to strip some WPF vector visuals form ZKL, but they can now be recreated using bitmaps and manual rendering. So please hold on until I get some artist help :)

ZKL for linux wont be able to download engine 91.0 because it does not exist as a static build yet.
If you do have a working 91.0 for linux, make a symlink in .spring/engine/91.0/spring to make ZKL use it.
+0 / -0
CZrankAdminLicho
18 months ago
(edited 18 months ago)

Also forgot to mention that ZKL can now work like a portable application.
Just stick it's exe somewhere, pick a data folder for it if people want that.

So we could create exe with maps and mods prepacked if needed.
+0 / -0
RUrankNapoleonKolya_adidas
18 months ago

You wrote a wrong URL.

wget http://zero-k.info/Zero-K.exe
ERROR 404: Not Found.

+0 / -0
USrankDudenicemonkey
18 months ago
I got the lobby from http://zero-k.info/lobby/Zero-K.exe but got the following error when I ran it.

http://pastebin.com/7XFXhzCK
+0 / -0
DErankSoldiershadoxxHD
18 months ago
is there any way to get the old lobby back once i updated it?
+0 / -0
AUrankNapoleonliq3
18 months ago
I've got the same problem as nicemonkey.
+0 / -0
CZrankDude[DDAM]aiphee
18 months ago
(edited 18 months ago)

I have exactly same error as USrankDudenicemonkey
+0 / -0
JPrankSoldiergajop
18 months ago
Good job!
Just note that those instructions are only valid for Ubuntu (and possibly Debian) distributions.

Also I got stuck here:

quote:

% wget http://zero-k.info/Zero-K.exe
--2013-05-27 09:30:47-- http://zero-k.info/Zero-K.exe
Resolving zero-k.info (zero-k.info)... 94.23.171.71
Connecting to zero-k.info (zero-k.info)|94.23.171.71|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2013-05-27 09:30:48 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Seems link is dead.
+0 / -0
CZrankAdminLicho
18 months ago

Sorry, fixed the link and the crash linked by USrankDudenicemonkey caused by some last minute changes :(

@[S]TheDarkKiller Not at moment though we do plan to restyle the new lobby to something nicer.
+0 / -0
JPrankSoldiergajop
18 months ago
OK!
Got it to run now.
Couple of things:
On first launch it opens a tab with http://zero-k.info/Wiki/LobbyStart page with a weird "page doesn't translated" text on top.
The mouse cursor is really weird in it (looks like this one except mirrored on the Y axis, https://f.cloud.github.com/assets/977623/57377/67228d00-5b45-11e2-9c2e-d85cb978288d.png), and the GUI is kinda ugly. Right clicking on certain elements creates a window displaced by a certain offsett. (http://s2.postimg.org/8rb7ildvt/screenshot.png)
The directory scanner is being restarted all the time, starts with 1/120 scanned, but restarts to 1/115, 1/112, etc. It seems to finish in the end though.
I did manage to rejoin a running BA game so I guess the main things work.

The package installation on arch goes like this:
pacman -S spring mono p7zip wget
yaourt -S xprintidle #(available on AUR, so yaourt needs to be installed too)

Am I missing something to get it to look nice? What gets installed with mono-complete?
+0 / -0
CZrankAdminLicho
18 months ago

Thanks, we will work on the gui design and other issues (like scanner flashing) now.

I think that downloads and scanner tasks could be moved to status bar to save space.
Cursor can be changed though I dont know what is the default one on linux :)
+0 / -0
JPrankSoldiergajop
18 months ago
The cursor thing is going to be problematic, as most DEs/WMs can (and do) set their own, and the "X default" one is probably really bad (I think that's what's getting displayed here).
It may be best to not touch the cursor and use the current one, if possible?
+0 / -0
CZrankAdminLicho
18 months ago

I think so.
+0 / -0
CZrankDude[DDAM]aiphee
18 months ago
(edited 18 months ago)

Start works, ill try a game :)

PS: WOW now is ZK:L really Ugly :-D (i know its wip).

Edit:
Bugs:
(not just) 91 engine download fails (crutial)
add bot menu bugged, it is partly hidden below screen when window maximized (minor)

+0 / -0
CZrankAdminLicho
18 months ago

Yes 91.0 has no portable build..

I mentioned it in the OP:
quote:

ZKL for linux wont be able to download engine 91.0 because it does not exist as a static build yet.
If you do have a working 91.0 for linux, make a symlink in .spring/engine/91.0/spring to make ZKL use it.

+0 / -0
CZrankDude[DDAM]aiphee
18 months ago

CZrankAdminLicho Sry, didnt saw it in excitenment :) Anyway, testing build of 94 failed too.
+0 / -0
EErankAdminAnarchid
18 months ago

Donator star
quote:
Yes 91.0 has no portable build..

There are custom builds in existence, i'm using one. I'll suggest what i suggested to use in weblobby (aside from symlink approach) - if there is need to download 91.0 and no symlink has been provided by user, just make a conditional download directly.
+0 / -0
JPrankSoldiergajop
18 months ago
CZrankDude[DDAM]aiphee
How did it fail? It worked for me (joining a BA game worked).
+0 / -0
CZrankAdminLicho
18 months ago

Did you have 7z installed? 94.1 download should work fine...

+0 / -0
CZrankDude[DDAM]aiphee
18 months ago

I did installed 7zip.
JPrankSoldiergajop 94 works fine but lobby didnt downloaded it, i alredy had it from repo, but i tried to join bleeding edge and engine download for that failed.
+0 / -0
NLrankNapoleonBlackdutchie
18 months ago

On vista, most stuff seems to work fine.

http://i.imgur.com/m9pcIX5.jpg
Slight bug with the side windows.

Also, battle search filters don't keep when switching tabs. Had mine set to "-ba -tech", switched from MP to chat and back, it was still in the search bar but required entering something in it to make it filter out BA games again.

I actually like the current look better than before. The big buttons took up too much space imo.
+0 / -0
LTrankNapoleon[pikts]wolas
18 months ago
(edited 18 months ago)

Lobby crashes after a while when indexing existing stuff.
http://pastebin.com/7QZRku78

http://i.imgur.com/Vdgznmc.png LIES DIRTY LIES!
+0 / -0
GBrankAdminTheSponge
18 months ago
(edited 18 months ago)

Donator star
LTrankNapoleon[pikts]wolas It looks like there is a problem with cairo. Try rebooting and if that does not help, reinstall mono. If that does not work remove cairo and try.

I get the "Zero-k Lobby (windows)" thing too, this should probably be changed. Also is there any eta on a nicer ui?
+0 / -0
CZrankAdminLicho
18 months ago

Wow wolas that code is not even meant to be working on linux.. its not meant to open minimaps from maps using unitsync...

Also it is possible that mono --debug causes otherwise harmless thing to crash the lobby.

In any case we can turn off unitsync completely on linux.

+0 / -0
18 months ago
(edited 18 months ago)

I tried --debug to get better message, but it was same. And that crash occurs after it almost completes indexing or something I dont touch lobby at all.
+0 / -0
DErankNapoleonmojjj
18 months ago
(edited 18 months ago)

Donator star
great work! let the linuxers come!

questions:
--does it always scan all data content (maps etc) on each single bootup?
--it has forgot in chatwindow, which "friends" i had or rooms i autojoined. is there a way to restore this?
--it sometimes forgets, where my spring data folder is located, as i have moved it to a different HDD. how to fix this? i have copied the lobby exe there, seems to work for now ...
+0 / -0
GBrankAdminTheSponge
18 months ago
(edited 18 months ago)

Donator star
Would it be useful if i packaged it for a ppa in its current state or should I wait until it has a nicer ui? There will not be much packaging to do, it is only one executable. The main work will be getting the dependencies to install (I have had problems with this in the past)
+0 / -0
CZrankAdminLicho
18 months ago
(edited 18 months ago)

LTrankNapoleon[pikts]wolas, please try latest version, I disabled unitsync on linux so it should not cause issues now.

DErankNapoleonmojjj scan only happens once, dont worry :)
Friends etc should be imported, if not find ZeroKLobbyConfig.xml and put it to folder where you have Zero-K.exe
Normally its in my documents/my games/spring/
+0 / -0
DErankNapoleonmojjj
18 months ago

Donator star
thx. it works now.

copied zero-k.exe to my spring data folder (which is not the path you mentioned). it stopped scanning each time now, chat channels are back too.
+0 / -0
DErankNapoleon[I]burp
18 months ago
(edited 18 months ago)

The lobby doesn't work well with tiling window managers. It seems to open new windows for example when hovering over nicknames (Will make zero-k run in floating mode then). Other than that: Ugly, but it seems to work ;-)
+0 / -0
CZrankAdminLicho
18 months ago

Burp, tooltip is custom rendered so yeah its a separate window..
I can make it only show it when mouse does not move, will that help?
+0 / -0
FIrankDude[ffc]killer
18 months ago
(edited 18 months ago)

new lobby is ugly, takes forever to open and some random Scanning existing maps and games takes so long and it takes too much space

EDIT: AND IT MOVES ME TO GOD DAMM REPLAYS THEN TO PLANETWARS FOR NO REASON WHEN I PRESS HOME
+0 / -0
18 months ago
Now it finishes hashing just fine. I see you enabled loging into console now and it constantly spams.=:
Warning : 0 : Error executing xprintidle : ApplicationName='xprintidle', CommandLine='', CurrentDirectory=''

+0 / -0
CArankAdminPxtl
18 months ago
CZrankAdminLicho, I'll see if I can find it, but I actually have some Mono/Linux + Windows/.NET compatible code for a WinForms imagebutton that supports graphics for rollover and click and the usual stuff... something I'd hammered out for Argh when he needed a launcher for PURE.
+0 / -0
CZrankAdminLicho
18 months ago

CArankAdminPxtl thats ok we have this code..
just not the images :)

FIrankDude[ffc]killer scanning is only one time action.
Regarding startup time you can force external browser in settings.

LTrankNapoleon[pikts]wolas you didnt install properly..
sudo apt-get install spring mono-complete xprintidle p7zip wget
one of the items was xprintidle :)

+0 / -0
MYrankAdminxponen
18 months ago
(edited 18 months ago)

ZKL take too long time to "Scanning existing maps and games" for these following mod for me:
[I delete everything because it make thread look crazy]
+0 / -0
18 months ago
(edited 18 months ago)

One thing why ZKL uses engine folder instead engines(weblobby and notalobby uses that)?

Also lobby keeps downloading 91 engine and extracts it into engien/91.0/91.0/ when copied it out then it still throws some exceptions. http://pastebin.com/v9u29xvq (2x rejoin ZK game and then after fixing directory thing you see exception when I click rejoin).

Tried BA game and engine download works fine.
+0 / -0
EErankAdminAnarchid
18 months ago

Donator star
quote:
weblobby and notalobby uses that

Weblobby uses ~/.spring/weblobby/engines.
+0 / -0
CZrankDude[DDAM]aiphee
18 months ago

BTW, why was removed the internal browser? It worked fine on Windows and could have been implemented to Linux too couldnt? Steam also uses internal browser in Linux.
+0 / -0
EErankAdminAnarchid
18 months ago

Donator star
quote:
why was removed the internal browser

You can enable it. It is not removed.

quote:
It worked fine on Windows

And still does.

quote:
could have been implemented to Linux

Actually not, especially not while maintaining a single-executable distribution.
+0 / -0
FIrankDude[ffc]killer
18 months ago
CZrankAdminLicho
quote:
FIrankDude[ffc]killer scanning is only one time action.
Regarding startup time you can force external browser in settings.

well...somehow it does it everytime i open zkl...
+0 / -0
CZrankAdminLicho
18 months ago

Thank you wolas, it seems archive with 91.0 contains extra 91.0 folder
i will fix that up.
+0 / -0
GBrankAdminTheSponge
18 months ago

Donator star
This is looking really good since KR's buttons were implemented, any chance of a desktop icon?
+0 / -0
FIrankDude[ffc]killer
18 months ago
old zkl was better :(
+0 / -0
DErankSoldierTheEloIsALie
18 months ago

Donator star
Can you just make the background black? I find the light grey buttons with (very) light blue on nearly white background extremely unpleasing to look at...
+0 / -0
FIrankDude[ffc]killer
18 months ago
(edited 18 months ago)

just get old zkl look back

EDIT:BTW i found bug on home if you press 1 forum on that....think then do waht you do then go back forum is still there (if its on think that you have been posted it stays at blue until you resstart lobby)

+0 / -0
EErankAdminAnarchid
18 months ago

Donator star
I second the motion towards a darker future :P
+0 / -0
MYrankAdminxponen
18 months ago
quote:
BTW i found bug on home if you press 1 forum on that....think then do waht you do then go back forum is still there (if its on think that you have been posted it stays at blue until you resstart lobby)

reload button will be available soon to refresh the page.
+0 / -0
USrankDude[rks]N2maniac
17 months ago
(edited 17 months ago)

Just tried this out. I really appreciate the hard work to move this porting forward. My initial feedback:

-I was greeted with white text on a light background on the login screen. This might be window manager-specific or no-background specific.
-Apparently spring had trouble finding a font that comes with spring upon launching that was inside 91.0/cont/fonts rather than 91.0/fonts. This does not happen with just the engine running. This folder location is representative of grabbing the 91.0 source and compiling it in place.
-Widget info was strangely set to the spring default rather than zero-k default.
-F11 did not bring up widget menu ingame. Worse, running spring by itself now seems to do the same. (now I am really confused)

Anyone have an idea on the widgets?

Edit: Found the issue with the widgets, it was similar to fonts: the source folder has a cont/LuaUI folder which wasn't being seen when launched by zero-k lobby. Moving it down one folder "fixes" that.
+0 / -0
17 months ago
(edited 17 months ago)

under linux, maybe on widows too ZKL edits cmdcolors.txt and then your orders becomes invisible unless you press shift( at first I didint figure out who made it, but same was for burp, on zk I enabled "draw everyone orders") this breaks other games and zk
alwaysDrawQueue 1 becomes 0

also ZKL completely changes/erase uikeys.txt this is really bad, because it completely breaks other mods.
+0 / -0
Pages: 1 2

Post comment