ignore radar dots bugged does not ignore radar dots

11 posts, 257 views
Post comment
Filter:    Player:  
sort

DErankMouthOfMadness
19 days ago
(edited 17 days ago)

when option "fire at radar dots" is disabled, attack move shall ignore radar dots also.
for me its always a disgrace to see my snipers dont reach their target to shoot when option is disabled and the enemy unit is on radar.
can we tweak this or is there already a way to do this?
+0 / -0

CHrankAdminDeinFreund
18 days ago
I'm actually happy to hear that snipers stay at range. Snipers should pretty much never spot their own targets when you're not actively microing them.

If you want your snipers to work on their own, I'd suggest you send a Vulture (Scout Plane) alongside them.
+0 / -0

DErankMouthOfMadness
18 days ago
(edited 18 days ago)

quote:
If you want your snipers to work on their own, I'd suggest you send a Vulture (Scout Plane) alongside them.

you see the point. i would have to build a second fac and scouts just because the sniper decides to stop 1 meter before without any sence.
and wouldnt be able to control multiple snipers effectively
+0 / -0

CHrankAdminDeinFreund
18 days ago
(edited 18 days ago)

If you're actively controlling the snipers I suggest you use move command, it's more responsive anyway. Fight command will only make the snipers clump up and kill themselves.

Also:

Generally I'd recommend you get the Plane factory still. I'd go as far as calling Vulture the most effective unit past the 10 minute mark.
+0 / -0

DErankMouthOfMadness
18 days ago
(edited 18 days ago)

so there is no way to make them not stop 1 meter before they can actually fire and make any sence?

my question is about controls not game style
+0 / -0

CHrankAdminDeinFreund
18 days ago
You could write a widget if you really want to do it, but I prefer to have them stop and not suicide charge into the enemy. A reminder to build scouts isn't bad either.
+0 / -0

DErankMouthOfMadness
17 days ago
(edited 17 days ago)

you seem to have misunderstood something

quote:

but I prefer to have them stop and not suicide charge into the enemy.

i never said i would like them to suicide into enemy lines just want to make it shoot.

no other unit just stops a meter before its able to shoot without reason when i send it to attack move somewhere, why not ignore radar dots when its specially manually turned off?
+0 / -0

DErankMouthOfMadness
15 days ago
i would prefer a fix then a dodgy widget tho
+0 / -0

DErankMouthOfMadness
15 days ago
(edited 15 days ago)

i mean to move but not attack there already is the move command, to make them stop and not attack on attack command is pointless.

so im pretty sure this change would be an increase.

bit ot: why is there no participation in this thread? devs seem only pushing their stuff through github...
+0 / -0

DErankAdminmojjj
15 days ago
Github is the place.to go then
+0 / -0

AUrankAdminGoogleFrog
14 days ago
My primary goal with the "Ignore radar dots" setting is to make snipers not waste their shots on missing radar dots. It is partially a conditional hold fire because you can set them to fire at will and they will only fire at visible targets. It is also a way to focus fire on a target because you can tell them to attack a target and set them to hold fire. They will only fire on the target if it is visible. So to me the command tells them not to shoot at enemies, not that they should seek out visible enemies.

I think that the current default is fine because it is dangerous for snipers to seek out their own targets. They move slowly, have large decloak distance and have a much lower sight range than their vision range. If a target is just out of your global vision range it is likely that the sniper will have to do a lot of walking before it gains vision on the target. In short, if snipers moved forwards by themselves they would put themselves at risk. Unit AI should implement reasonably beneficial behaviours which are also low risk, at least for fragile expensive units. This means that you can look away from your snipers without worrying about them running into the enemy to get vision.

Of course, the current unit AI is not fully expressive. Ideally there would be easy ways to configure more behaviours. I agree that in this case it would be nice to have a way to set units to use a decent but risky unit AI. Perhaps the movestates should be replaced by Take Risks/Be Safe/Hold Position.

On the ot: I can have a bit of a break for a weekend and github is easier for me to access. The thread is only four days old. Github is also a better place for bug reports and highly specific design decisions such as the one discussed in this thread.
+1 / -0