Loading...
Home
Home
Unlocks
Commanders
Map Bans
Polls
Play
Download Zero-K
Download the game, it's free! :)
Maps
Thousands of maps to pick
Replays
All your past victories, stored here!
Mods
Special game modes
Media
Screenshots
Videos
Presskit
Wiki
Index
Newbie guide
Don't know where to begin? Click here.
Video tutorials
Demonstrating both basic and advanced features
Units
Economy
Terraforming
Let's go play in the dirt!
FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions
PlanetWars
PlanetWars
Multiplayer online campaign
Ladder
Factions
The mighty factions controlling huge sectors of galaxy
Community
Forum
Discuss, ask for help, have fun!
Clans
Play with your friends or make friends while playing :)
Ladders
Statistics
Code of Conduct
Be nice, have fun!
Develop
Make the game with us
Privacy Policy
Contact
Contact the Zero-K team
Credits
Makers of Zero-K
Donate
Help cover the server costs!
OR
Zero-K Name:
Password:
Login
Forum index
>
General discussion
>
Hard work and Effort
9 posts, 438 views
Post comment
Filter:
Player:
sort
PLT_imperialfist
20 days ago
I was just wanting to use this as a sort of way to say my thanks to the moderators and development of zk but also wondering how long it took on average to get zero k started and how much time you spend nowadays to keep it running and updated. So, I was just wondering what was the largest number of players that had been on zero k at one time?
+2
/
-0
PLT_imperialfist
20 days ago
I meant to say moderators and developers but autocorrect made ir weird, sorry!
+0
/
-0
SmokeDragon
20 days ago
(edited 20 days ago)
well from making mods i can tell you that it takes a long time to fix things and not much time to make them.. probably only a few days to code something and many more days to fix it
even if i take a long time to make something it will still take a long time to fix it.. sometimes even longer
+0
/
-0
malric
19 days ago
(edited 19 days ago)
I made a scrapper of battles that can report various numbers, you can check the thread (check latest post for the link to the visualizer) at
https://zero-k.info/Forum/Thread/34840?postID=248087&Search=&User=&grorder=&grdesc=False&grpage=2
If for "at one time" you mean in a single day (I do not have smaller granularity than that) I get 6 May 2018 => 1672 players (this is immediately after Steam release).
But I find daily statistics a bit misleading as they vary a lot due to seasons and other events. Monthly unique users maximum was June 2018 with 8001 players (watch-out this visualization uses a lot of memory
monthly unique players
)
For convenience here is the screenshot:
+1
/
-0
Stuey72727
19 days ago
Now that's interesting.
So there's a solid stream of new players coming in.
Does Zero K spend much on advertising at all? Or are they just washing in randomly?
+0
/
-0
malric
19 days ago
To be more precise I see a stream of new accounts. I do not know how many people are banned and try to make a new account for example (or forget their password and return one year later). Based on what I see in-game though I would guess they are not that many, but don't know for sure.
If I would be to guess, I would guess the new players are young(er) people randomly finding the game via steam and trying it. I also search occasionally RTS games on steam to see "what's out there".
+1
/
-0
GoogleFrog
15 days ago
Much appreciated
PLT_imperialfist
, these days perhaps 10-15 hours a week, just for me. I don't know what others like
Sprung
are doing. How long it took to get started is a trickier question because it has been more of a continuum than something with a clear start. I wasn't around at what I usually call the start (CA) either. I'd recommend the following:
Cold Take #1 - Why Zero-K
Cold Take #25 - Completely Free
Stuey72727
there is no advertising. This is something that anyone with a bit of expertise or grit could take on.
malric
those are nice graphs. My guess for the new and leaving numbers is that you're seeing the people who come in to play coop with friends then leave to play different coop games after some weeks or months. Eg even now, in the depth of offpeak, there are six passworded battles of about 15 people, all lower than rank 10. This seems like a pretty normal way to interact with a game like ZK. Perhaps you could somehow stratify the data by custom or coop games, or perhaps by who have never played outside that game type.
Expanding or improving coop modes could also be something for someone to work on. This could even be "easier" in some sense than other tasks because a lot of it will be game design and coding, which I can give advice on. I'm just not a big coop player so I think the most efficient way to advance our coop offerings would be for someone who
does
play a lot of coop to take the lead.
+3
/
-0
malric
14 days ago
(edited 14 days ago)
GoogleFrog
: thanks! As I have more dashboards with filters (at the link mentioned above), I can see playtime for accounts less than 11 months old (for 12 month I can't hit the slider position). There is a huge playtime for playing with bots, which can be, as you say, playing co-op. It would be nice to have also game size distribution graph, but I do not have such a graph.
Still even for new accounts, I am impressed that lots play 1v1 not matchmaking (half of the playtime compared with the bots time).
The screenshot:
+0
/
-0
Lawesome9
13 days ago
quote:
Still even for new accounts, I am impressed that lots play 1v1 not matchmaking (half of the playtime compared with the bots time).
Yeah, I'm not too surprised. From my experience, people like to introduce a friend to this new game they found by beating them in a 1v1. I've introduced this game to more than thirty people. Most of them never played it again, a few of them got really into it, and a few of them even introduced ZK to a bunch of their own friends. Only one of them, however, consistently plays matchmaking or big teams outside of when they're just playing with me.
+0
/
-0