Drive giant robots, build an army of a thousand Fleas, move mountains if needed, bury the enemy at all cost!
- Real time strategy.
- Physically simulated units and projectiles.
- Terrain manipulation.
- 100+ varied units with unique abilities.
- Singleplayer campaign.
- Challenging, non-cheating AI.
- Multiplayer 1v1 - 16v16, FFA, coop.
- Multiplayer online campaign.
- Really free, no in-game currency, no unfair multiplayer.
Fully Utilized Physics
Simulated unit and projectile physics is used to a level rarely found in a strategy game.
- Use small nimble units to dodge slow moving projectiles.
- Hide behind hills that block weapon fire, line of sight and radar.
- Toss units across the map with gravity guns.
- Transport a battleship to a hilltop - for greater views and gun range.
Manipulate the Terrain
The terrain itself is an ever-changing part of the battlefield.
- Wreck the battlefield with craters that bog down enemy tanks.
- Dig canals to bring your navy inland for a submarine-in-a-desert strike.
- Build ramps, bridges, entire fortress if you wish.
- Burn your portrait into continental crust using the planetary energy chisel.
Singleplayer Campaign and Challenging AI
Enjoy many hours of single player and coop fun with our campaign, wide selection of non-cheating AIs and a survival mode against an alien horde.
- Explore the galaxy and discover technologies in our singleplayer campaign.
- Face a challenging AI that is neither brain-dead nor a clairvoyant cheater.
- Have some coop fun with friends, surviving waves of chicken-monsters.
- Cloaking? Resurrection? Tough choices customizing your commander.
Casual and Competitive Multiplayer
Zero-K was built for multiplayer from the start, this is where you can end up being hooked for a decade.
- Enjoying epic scale combat? Join our 16v16 team battles!
- Looking for a common goal? Fight AIs or waves of chicken-monsters.
- Prefer dancing on a razor's edge? Play 1v1 in ladder and tournaments.
- Comebacks, betrayals, emotions always running high in FFA.
- Want to fight for a bigger cause? Form a clan and join PlanetWars, competitive online campaign with web-game strategic elements, diplomacy and backstabbing.
Power to the People
We are RTS players at heart, we work for nobody. We gave ourselves the tools we always wanted to have in a game.
- Do what you want. No limits to camera, queue or level of control.
- Paint a shape, any shape, and units will move to assume your formation.
- Want to spend more time on tactics? Use construction priorities.
- Want to focus on economy? Order units to kite, strafe or zig zag bullets.
Plenty of Stuff to
Zero-K is a long term project and it shows, millions hours of proper multiplayer testing and dozens of people contributing ever expanding content.
- Learn to use all of our 100+ units and play on hundreds of maps.
- Invent the next mad team-tactics to shock enemies and make allies laugh.
- Combine cloaking, teleports, shields, jumpjets, EMP, napalm, gravity guns, black hole launchers, mind control and self-replication.
- Tiny flea swarm that clings to walls?
Jumping "cans" with steam-spike?
Buoys that hide under water to ambush ships?
Mechs that spew fire and enjoy being tossed from air transports?
Carrier with cute helicopters?
Jumping Jugglenaut with dual wielding gravity guns?
Meet them in Zero-K!
Zero-K v22.214.171.124 - Hot Stardust and Curtailed Cloaking
Other changes include an excellent new walk animation for Outlaw and some behaviour fixes for Attack-Move.
Duck reliably hits units as small as Glaive, but lost a little range. It is a little sad to see a physics trick go, but Amphbots should not be balanced around around swingy raider interactions.
- Land range 240 -> 235
- Projectile velocity increased by 10%
- Projectile turn rate increased by 39%
Venom lost some range and health.
- Range 245 -> 240
- Health 750 -> 740
Dagger lost the most range because it is the fastest.
- Range 212 -> 205
Blitz didn't lose any range because it is not as popular as other burst damage raiders.
Claymore is more reliably useful, but we are taking care to not make it too powerful too quickly.
- Health 1260 -> 1300
- Projectile speed increased by about 50% (both on land and sea)
- Range 300 -> 280 (both on land and sea)
Sling loses some damage in sympathy with Stinger.
- Damage 150 -> 140
Badger loses most of the 25% damage buff caused by fixing its 5th Claw bomblet.
- Mine damage 200 -> 170.
Tremor finally loses the ability to fire while moving, and must pack up to move.
Stardust now 'heats up' as it fires, reducing fire rate as it does so. This allows it to retain most of its power against raiders while dealing less sustained damage to tankier assaults.
- Gains 3.8% heat per shot.
- Loses 14.3% per second.
- Slow scales up to 50% at max heat.
- Starts with 100% heat.
Faraday is more of a weighty choice.
- Cost 250 -> 260
Gauss deals less damage to lean into its anti-artillery role.
- Reload 2s -> 2.1s
Stinger is less efficient and easier to assault.
- Cost 420 -> 450
- Health 2475 -> 2250
Starting metal is lower to give small units a bit more space to breathe.
- Income +6 metal, +8 energy -> +5 metal, +8 energy (-1 metal income for commanders).
- Initial resources 300 metal and energy -> 250 metal and energy.
Cloaking an army for general combat is now harder and less effective.
- Iris radius 440 -> 400.
- Increased recloak time for area cloaking 5s -> 6s.
- Default decloak radius for area cloaking is now 12*footprint + 56, instead of 75. This means most units have a decloak radius of 80, 92 or 104.
- Imp and Snitch, which have their decloak radius increased 75 -> 80. Other units with personal cloak are unaffected by the decloak radius change.
Companion Drones are cheaper and easier to catch with raiders.
- Cost 300 -> 200
- Range 180 -> 150
- Cruise Alt 100 -> 85
- Guardian progression 1/1/2/2/3/3 -> 1/1/2/2/2/3
Battle Drones are also cheaper, but Guardian Chassis only receives one for free.
- Cost 500 -> 350
- Range 240 -> 200
- Cruise Alt 100 -> 95
- Guardian progression 0/0/0/1/1/2 -> 0/0/0/0/1/1
Fractional reload times resulting from status effects are now rounded to the nearest frame, rather than round down. This buffs units with slow damage, particularly against units with a high rate of fire.
- Moving now consistently grants immunity to being kidnapped by enemy transports.
- Units on Attack-Move now periodically reset their target. This ensures that they don't end up chasing retreating enemies through enemy lines.
- Improved Emissary movement packing.
- The Alt+N default terraform hotkey makes slightly higher walls.
- Added a Caretaker deathclone, it blocks movement like most deathclones.
- Made it a little easier to shoot Lotus and Stinger from the bottom of cliffs.
- Tactical AI is off by default for Emissary.
- Improved Outlaw walk animation.
- Increased Bulkhead icon size slightly.
- Added checkbox options for unit halos, platters, selection halos, and selection shapes.
- Teamplatter widgets use the same base scaling as selection shapes.
- Map dimension and type are now shown below the map in the lobby.
- Fixed EMP breaking factories.
- Fixed Archer unit AI sometimes closing range inappropriately.
- Fixed Puppy Gather settings under Unit Behaviour not being applied.
- Damaging or killing drones no longer counts towards endgame stats.
- Reduced the permeability of the side walls of Shielbot Factory, Cloakbot Factory and Hovercraft Platform.
- Fixed camera state recall and ctrl/alt+MMB rotation jitters for COFC (the advanced camera).
- Fixed build spacing widget crash on rapid camera rotation.
- Disabling a selection widget no longer enables the basic selection squares if any other selection widget is enabled.
- Fixed Area Mex with Space, and no other modifiers, held.
- Fixed map terraform masking not applying to smoothing.
Zero-K v126.96.36.199 - Mod Page and Slower Kodachi
Kodachi no longer outruns Glaive and Scorcher.
- Speed 117 -> 108
- Bombers are smarter about rearming. They now temporarily skip to their next Move command after bombing, ignoring intervening Attack commands. This makes queuing a safe retreat after bombing a group of units much easier.
- Added a 'Play This Mod' button to mod pages on the site. See Future Wars for an example.
- Improved Dirtbag walk animation.
- Added Disarm Award.
- Added some Portuguese translations.
- Updated Russian translations.
- Save channel topic to avoid re-displaying it multiple times a session.
- Added a filter field for the map list.
- Added a toggle for excess metal flash under 'Settings/HUD Panels/Economy Panel'.
- Added a toggle for Attrition Counter under 'Settings/HUD Panels/Extras' so it can be bound to a hotkey.
- Added free stockpile to '/luarules nocost'.
- Added a few tip window settings under 'Settings/HUD Panels/Unit Stats Help Window' - useful for tutorial videos.
- Fixed a premature victory bug on Planet Tempest (as well as a few other missions).
- Fix terraform mex placement UI.
- Fixed airpads not working slower under slow/emp/disarm.
- Fixed a few poorly configured projectile lights.
- Fixed Slow Award damage calculation against commanders.
- Fixed team names on Adamantine Mountian.
- Fixes for the WIP Caretaker AI. It can be tested by enabling the widget 'Auto Patrol Nanos v2'.
Zero-K 188.8.131.52 - Sneaky Holiday Fixes
Submarines can no longer traverse shallow water, reverting a recent experimental change. Unfortunately it resulted in Seawolf needlessly revealing itself to surface weaponry while skirting islands.
- Minimum depth 5 -> 15.
- Seawolf now has a higher aim point and fire point. This solves various weapon blocking bugs that could occur around coastlines.
Metal Extractor placement is now consistent with other structure placement.
- If you click where a mex can be placed, the mex is placed, otherwise the click is ignored.
- Previously, whether the click was used depended on the ghost under the mouse cursor.
- This caused issues such as being unable to click on a blocked location near a free metal spot to place a mex.
- Writing a report description is now mandatory.
- Replaced the 'Clan List' button in the Profile tab with 'Contact Admins' as this seems more useful.
- Fixed reclaim failing to be highlighted during start position selection.
- Filtered out the low quality part of the construction unit reply.
- Fixed the problems stemming from the outline shader update, possibly even correctly. This fixes the non-default widgets that were missed by the previous patch, such as Bloom and Blob Shader.
- Modding in extra shields is now a bit easier.
Zero-K v184.108.40.206 - Sprucing and Switching
On the balance side of things, mexes are slightly weaker to reward early raiding and factories are bit cheaper to make switching easier. A few other units have been tweaked, with the biggest being nerfs for Funnelweb and Ultimatum, which should open up the mid-lategame options in large teams.
Metal Extractor is slightly more vulnerable to light raids.[list]
- Health 700 -> 640
Factory switching can afford to be easier now that air is less dominant in 1v1.[list]
- Cost 800 -> 700
Outlaw is worse against units that keep their distance.[list]
- Cost 250 -> 260
- Further increased AoE damage falloff.
Knight is also worse against units that keep their distance.[list]
- Range 350 -> 340
Pyro is slightly weaker because it is dominant in some matchups and we are not ready to look at Jumpbots. This is a partial revert of a buff from February, in which it gained 80 health and 8% DPS.[list]
- Health 700 -> 670
- DPS reduced by 4%
Jack and Dirtbag deal extra damage due to a bugfix.[list]
- No longer deal 'around' 25% less than their stated damage against targets 'near' max range.
Tarantula is better at hitting planes.[list]
- Missile turn rate increased by 17%.
Swift is less able to dodge missiles.[list]
- Thickened by 37.5%.
Raven swarms are slightly easier to rearm.[list]
- Rearm time 10s -> 8s
- Rearm cost 100 -> 80 energy
Likho has more downtime between bombing runs.[list]
- Rearm time 20s -> 25s
- Rearm cost 200 -> 250 energy
Ultimatum is more specialised against striders.[list]
- Cost 2000 -> 2500
- Decloak Radius 100 -> 120
- Reload 1.5s -> 2s
Funnelweb loses the ability to outrun many armies.[list]
- Cost 3500 -> 4000
- Speed 54 -> 40
Rover Assembly has a slightly smaller collision volume.
Airplane Plant no longer covers its construction and rearm pads with its collision volume.
- Lobster-bestowed fall damage immunity prevents cloak for its duration.
- Fixed a bug where burrowing units (Snitch, Imp and Flea) sometimes remaining cloaked when launched into the air.
- Fixed units sometimes retaining their full LOS when launched high into the air.
- Raven and Impaler overkill prevention is more lenient against targets that they do not kill in one shot.
- Overkill prevention for many burst weapons has been improved and some failure cases have been patched. In particular, burst anti-air should be a little better at finishing off damaged bombers.
- Clicking on a player and selecting 'Report' is now done entirely in-lobby.
- Decluttered the Community tab by removing the profile and ladder subwindows. Renamed to 'Welcome'.
- Added profile and profile links (such as commander editing and ladder ratings) to the Friends tab. Renamed to 'Profile'.
- Moved the first-launch tutorial prompt popup into the top of the news section of the new Welcome tab. Since a new entry is significantly less intrusive than a popup, it only disappears after completing the the tutorial or by toggling Settings -> Lobby -> 'Hide welcome tutorial prompt'.
- Tweaked the button alignment and skinning of the main menu and top right status buttons.
- Reskinned the top bar to make it clear that the lobby can be toggled while ingame.
- Fixed a bug with updating subheadings of the main logo.
- Reduced the default command opacity in Settings -> Game.
- State toggles now react to commands instantly rather than waiting for the changed state to reach the server.
- Replaced the kick button in the Tab Playerlist with a report button, that brings up an in-lobby report form. The form has a kick option, but it should be used sparringly.
- Added a smarter Caretaker widget called 'Auto Patrol Nanos v2'. It is not enabled by default as it requires more testing and fixes.
- Closing the mission objectives panel no longer unpauses the game if the game was already paused when it was opened.
- Space+Click can now be used on the factory queue, the selection panel, the mission objectives panel and morph commands.
Terraforming presets now come with some default hotkeys. These keys allow you to terraform areas with a set height, skipping the height selection step, and can be configured under Hotkeys/Construction. If you already created hotkeys then you may need to check your settings.[list]
- Alt+V makes the smallest wall that Vehicles cannot pass.
- Alt+B makes the smallest wall that Bots cannot pass.
- Alt+N makes a wall units such as Rogue can use to hide from Stinger.
- Alt+G levels the terrain to the height of the ground where the cursor was initially clicked.
- Alt+H is useful for putting a Crab high on a spire.
- Alt+J just makes a deep hole. This was more useful back when enemies could be burried.
More keybinds and unit behaviours can be set.[list]
- Trajectory mode toggle is bindable under 'Hotkeys/Commands/State'.
- Unusual keys, such as 2, are now bindable.
- Added Overkill Prevention to 'Settings/Unit Behaviour/Default States'.
- Reduced strength of projectile lights by 13%. This multiplier can be tweaked in Settings/Graphics/Lighting.
- Upgraded the outline shader. The edges of the outlines are now smooth and they make units occluded by water and effects more visible.
- Improved Cerberus weapon effects.
- Improved the water on Folsom Dam.
- Death explosions are slightly less overexposed.
- Fixed missing explosion decal for Jugglenaut jump.
- Fixed missing amphibious sinking bubbles.
- Added startboxes for BlackStar v2.
- Limpet now counts towards the kamikaze award.
- Fixed a bug with the factory plate placement visualisation when switching between multiple factory blueprints.
- Fixed right clicking on units with a command selected erroneously issuing the default command rather than cancelling the selected command.
- Fixed unit failing to reply to area reclaim and selection rank commands.
- Fixed a COFC crash caused by unbound hotkeys.
RSS feed | news archive