Drive giant robots, build an army of a thousand Fleas, move mountains if needed, bury the enemy at all cost!
- Real time strategy.
- Physically simulated units and projectiles.
- Terrain manipulation.
- 100+ varied units with unique abilities.
- Singleplayer campaign.
- Challenging, non-cheating AI.
- Multiplayer 1v1 - 16v16, FFA, coop.
- Multiplayer online campaign.
- Really free, no in-game currency, no unfair multiplayer.
Fully Utilized Physics
Simulated unit and projectile physics is used to a level rarely found in a strategy game.
- Use small nimble units to dodge slow moving projectiles.
- Hide behind hills that block weapon fire, line of sight and radar.
- Toss units across the map with gravity guns.
- Transport a battleship to a hilltop - for greater views and gun range.
Manipulate the Terrain
The terrain itself is an ever-changing part of the battlefield.
- Wreck the battlefield with craters that bog down enemy tanks.
- Dig canals to bring your navy inland for a submarine-in-a-desert strike.
- Build ramps, bridges, entire fortress if you wish.
- Burn your portrait into continental crust using the planetary energy chisel.
Singleplayer Campaign and Challenging AI
Enjoy many hours of single player and coop fun with our campaign, wide selection of non-cheating AIs and a survival mode against an alien horde.
- Explore the galaxy and discover technologies in our singleplayer campaign.
- Face a challenging AI that is neither brain-dead nor a clairvoyant cheater.
- Have some coop fun with friends, surviving waves of chicken-monsters.
- Cloaking? Resurrection? Tough choices customizing your commander.
Casual and Competitive Multiplayer
Zero-K was built for multiplayer from the start, this is where you can end up being hooked for a decade.
- Enjoying epic scale combat? Join our 16v16 team battles!
- Looking for a common goal? Fight AIs or waves of chicken-monsters.
- Prefer dancing on a razor's edge? Play 1v1 in ladder and tournaments.
- Comebacks, betrayals, emotions always running high in FFA.
- Want to fight for a bigger cause? Form a clan and join PlanetWars, competitive online campaign with web-game strategic elements, diplomacy and backstabbing.
Power to the People
We are RTS players at heart, we work for nobody. We gave ourselves the tools we always wanted to have in a game.
- Do what you want. No limits to camera, queue or level of control.
- Paint a shape, any shape, and units will move to assume your formation.
- Want to spend more time on tactics? Use construction priorities.
- Want to focus on economy? Order units to kite, strafe or zig zag bullets.
Plenty of Stuff to
Zero-K is a long term project and it shows, millions hours of proper multiplayer testing and dozens of people contributing ever expanding content.
- Learn to use all of our 100+ units and play on hundreds of maps.
- Invent the next mad team-tactics to shock enemies and make allies laugh.
- Combine cloaking, teleports, shields, jumpjets, EMP, napalm, gravity guns, black hole launchers, mind control and self-replication.
- Tiny flea swarm that clings to walls?
Jumping "cans" with steam-spike?
Buoys that hide under water to ambush ships?
Mechs that spew fire and enjoy being tossed from air transports?
Carrier with cute helicopters?
Jumping Jugglenaut with dual wielding gravity guns?
Meet them in Zero-K!
Zero-K 126.96.36.199 - Detriment and Venom tweaks
Venom no longer two-shot stuns Redback, and is slightly more vulnerable to raiders.
- Range 250 -> 245
- Damage 70 -> 65
- EMP Damage 450 -> 400
Detriment has shorter reload and repair downtimes, as well as better pathfinding.
- Autoheal 20 -> 100
- Jump reload 120 -> 100
- Obliterator reload 45 -> 40
- Obliterator AoE 212 -> 256
- Obliterator no longer smooths terrain under structures (so turrets on spires no longer 'dodge').
- Footprint 6x6 -> 4x4 (This lets it move around terrain without issues)
- Hitvolume width reduced by 15.2%
- Hitvolume height reduced by 11.4%
- Fix AA laser only shooting with one barrel.
- Face beam is now unable to fire too far sideways.
Detriment is now a bit more resistant to Ultimatum because the Disingerator deals damage for each frame it is inside the target. In perfect circumstances Ulti removes 20.5% of its health per shot, down from 23.5%, but in reality Ultimatum will often require an extra shot to kill a Detriment.
Tremor is potentially a bit oppressive in dense team games.
- Speed 40.5 -> 37.5
- Range 1220 -> 1160
Gauss turret now has a much larger hitvolume. It was 12.5% thinner than Lotus, which was just silly.
- Knight, Thug and Hermit now jink at half the frequency, giving them time to aim.
- Added a Construction Effect graphics setting to the main menu.
- Increase Ultimatum target priority.
- Fix Phoenix effect on sea impact.
- Updated Unit Level Ups custom mode preset.
- Added support for unitdefs_mod.
- Fixed support for modding in extra weapons to units.
- Improved econ hint formatting slightly.
- Added live water configuration under 'Settings/Graphics/Sun, Fog & Water/Water' ingame.
- Fixed the sun and water on Skulduggery and Mechadansonia.
- Fixed Dante flamethower aiming visuals.
1v1 Tournament November 21st 2020
Zero-K v188.8.131.52 - Bulkhead, Balancing and Mod Hosting
The balance changes focus on improving the specialist factories (as was decided by a poll on Patreon). Apart from Bulkhead solving Amph's pre-Grizzly lack of range, Venom is more reliable and a bug that makes jumpjets hard to tune was fixed. Other factories were also tweaked and Amph received a few extra changes to accommodate Bulkhead and the Archer rework.
- Custom modes are now much easier to find. A few presets can be selected from the 'Game Type' menu while hosting a game, or under 'Select Custom Mode' in the Adv Options of a battleroom.
- Arena Mod, Unit Level Ups and Zero Wars are available at the moment.
- A custom mode can be a map, mod or just a set of game options.
- Custom modes can be added and edited in Zero-K/CustomModes under steamapps. The parameters are listed here.
- A bug that caused inconsistent mod downloads was fixed.
Added Bulkhead, a tough deployable amphibious fire support.
- Cost 230
- Health 1720
- Water regen 15 hp/s
- Speed 48
- Armed with a 600 range, 87 DPS, Plasma Cannon.
- Stops to fire.
Archer was a little too cheap after its rework.
- Cost 180 -> 200
- Water regen 25 -> 15
Scallop was somewhat replaced by Archer so needs help finding its niche.
- Depth charge damage 52 -> 48
- Cost 280 -> 260
Buoy is no longer as good against raiders or in skirmisher standoffs.
- Turnrate reduced by 8.3%
- Weapon velocity reduced by 12%
- Skirmishes Thug and Felon from greater range, and shoots at the edge of their shields.
Conch is possibly now as wacky as other bot constructors.
- Can morph to Djinn in 20 seconds (drains 30/s).
Scorcher has decent matchups but loses slightly on efficiency, so this might work.
- Cost 130 -> 125
Fencer is no longer interrupted by impulse that is insufficient to move it.
Ravager had been left behind by Fencer/Ripper and other assaults.
- Health 1850 -> 1920
Glaive being slightly bad could be holding Cloaky back.
- DPS increased by 3%.
Ronin now drains shields from a safe range.
- Aim speed increased by 30%.
- Skirmishes Thug and Felon from greater range, and shoots at the edge of their shields.
Reaver AI is now wary of chasing Archer.
Outlaw is less effective at range, to make shieldballs more approachable by assaults and riots.
- DPS reduced by 8% (slow and normal damage).
- AoE damage falloff increased slightly.
Thug, Felon, Convict and commanders with personal shields are now fully drained by being stunned or disarmed. Not doing so was a bug.
Units now correctly lead jumping units with their weapons. Previously they would aim where the jumper was rather than of where it was going to be. This is the first step in tuning the Jumpbots, as Pyro gaining immunity to projectiles slower than gauss is undesirable and tricky to balance.
Venom by itself no longer stuns permanently, but has more damage to compensate.
- Range 240 -> 250
- Aim speed increased by 33%
- Paralysis time 3s -> 1s
- Reload 1.5 -> 1.1
- Normal damage 40 -> 70
Wasp is heavier to dissuade air plops in 1v1, to relieve factories with expensive AA.
- Cost 240 -> 300
- Health 850 -> 1500
- Speed 3.2 -> 2.4
- Build range 160 -> 180
Claymore is more reliable.
- No longer shoots its ground projectile at airborne units.
- Cost 320 -> 300
- Ground-range 220 -> 300 (matches sea range)
- Reload 5.5 -> 2.8
- Damage 620 -> 400
- (DPS 112 -> 142)
Seawolf now poses more of a threat to units that cannot fire back.
- Health 600 -> 650
- Turn rate improved by 10%
- Torpedos turn 40% faster.
- Reload 3 -> 2.4
Hunter is better as a general raider and at defending against submerged units.
- Health 310 -> 360
- Range 230 -> 240
- Reload 2.5 -> 2.6
- Damage 200 -> 220
- (DPS 80 -> 85)
Cutter needs a bit more health to keep up with Hunter.
- Health 240 -> 260
Mistral fires rapidly enough to damage sinking amphs.
- Cost 240 -> 220
- Speed 2.3 -> 2.1
- Turn rate improved by 15%
- Aim speed doubled
- Reload 8 -> 7.5
- Burst rate increased by 50%
- Projectile speed increased by 13%
Siren is now both able and required to hold its own at short range.
- Health 4000 -> 5200
- Turn rate reduced by 25%
- Range 360 -> 270
- Damage 260 -> 280
- Reload 3 -> 1.7
- (DPS 86 -> 164)
Zephyr is now as accurate as Razor.
- Accuracy spread 128 -> 50
Detriment has more damage and abilities, but costs more.
- Cost 20k -> 24k
- Gauss reload time 2.4 -> 2
- Face Laser damage 1800 -> 2400
- Missile Launcher replaced with Obliteration Blaster, a manual fire weapon with 45s cooldown.
- Obliteration Blaster fires a spread of projectiles, dealing up to 12k damage, and smooths terrain.
- Can jump 950 elmos with 120s cooldown. The landing is not gentle.
Companion Drone and Battle Drone are more vulnerable to raiders.
- Reduced weapon ranges by 28%.
Increased the minimum size of ramps so they play nice with the pathfinder. This also makes walling with ramps more expensive.
- Min width 24 -> 48
- Min length 40 -> 64
- Fixed non-commander morph not decloaking units (units are meant to be disabled during morph).
- Remodelled the Airpad.
- Rebalanced unit reply sound volumes.
- Aircraft now have an advanced command that allows them to ignore a set of airpads. It must first be enabled in 'Settings/Interface/Commands'.
- Jump reload flashes orange when jump is the active command. This can be toggled under 'Settings/Interface/Healthbars/Jump reload flash'
- Fixed tactical AI not reacting well when many Attack Move commands are issued in a short period of time.
- Gunship strafe toggle is shown in the default UI.
- Fix alt/ctrl area mex sometimes acting as if shift is held.
- Fixed commshare again (probably).
- Added specialised callins for widget:PlayerResigned and widget:PlayerChangedTeam.
- Added more arguments to widget:UnitDestroyed.
Changes to rating changes, room skill limits and more
The following commands are now available to all players in custom hosts with less than 8 players. They don't have any effect if there are more than 8 players. You can use these commands to create battles for players of a specific skill level.
!minelo !maxelo !minlevel !maxlevel !minrank !maxrank
The battle waiting list now functions slightly different. Instead of counting the join time, the priority is now set by the time at which the player unspecced. So speccing will put you back at the end of the queue. There is a new command !maxevenplayers which can be used to enforce balanced teams. If the number of players at the start of the game is uneven and below the number set as !maxevenplayers, then the last person to unspec will be specced upon start.
For highly ranked players that want to play 1v1s outside the matchmaker, there is now the "Pro 1v1 Host". There, players of rank Neutron star and up can play 1v1 games which count for competitive (matchmaker) rating.
GoogleFrog has provided some new screenshots for the website backgrounds.
RSS feed | news archive