- amphibs and hovers currently default-dominate any maps with nonzero shore length, there's just no reason to pick anything else, while staying toe to toe with any single-domain factory
- underwater is boring
This is because ZK doesn't have any legitimately mixed maps. Either you have
to be able to traverse water, or you don't need
to. There are nearly no mixed maps, and the game is not optimized to be played when mixed maps are abundant. Consequently, hovers and amphs rarely get to play where their advantage of being cross-boundary would actually give them anything. Most of the time, they play either full dry, or full wet. If they played weaker than fulldry or fullwet factories in such uniform domains, they would not be played, and having them played is thought better.
Things i would do if there was a larger army of me with a lot of energy and free time:
- Remove sonar as a mechanic. Wooo propaganda.
- Make cross-boundary ability be mandatory for efficient amph/hover play
- Remove all the maps and make new better ones specifically to allow mixed terrain to occur more often, in a consistent and well-defined visual language.
Things that could happen despite such army not being available:
- Scallop becomes riot/riot, not skirmisher/riot
- Sonar stops existing as a mechanic.
Things that could happen at about same implementation cost, but much harder to obtain politically:
- Underwater combat de-exists. Submarine units surface to fire.