Hello and Welcome!
I'm presenting you a slight spin-off from classic ZK, called Zero-K Experiments (ZKE
First of all I quite like what ZK is right now and greatly admire all the efforts ZK/CA/BA/whatever creators put together to make that game. ZK is indeed an awesome RTS, one of the best in my opinion.
Next I'd like to mention what motivated me to create ZKE. I was reading through [url=zero-k.info/Forum/Thread/21064]this topic[/url] and it became very apparent that few folks would like to see some changes to the way ZK is focused or played right now. So am I.
Although the ultimate goal of ZKE is to allow for rapid in-game test of random ideas [?]
, my personal preference will be a game focused around mobile units[?]
and removal/refocus of annoying stuff [?]
.Q & A
1. Q: Why?
1. A: To test what kind of gameplay it would be, if some of the more radical changes were implemented
2. Q: How do I give it a try?
2. A: Currently the best way is to create a custom game room:
Press "Open a new battle" in Zero-K Lobby. Enter room name and optionally password
Press "Show advanced options" button
Enter zke:test in "Game Name" field
As lobby feels ZKE is a new game, it will create default configuration file for ZKE. To enjoy familiar ZK environment such as widgets, windows arrangement and hotkeys following needs to be done:
- Go to your ZK directory[?]
- Then to .\LuaUI\Configs
- Copy zk_keys.lua to zke_keys.lua
- Get back one sub-directory above then go to Config subdir [?]
- Copy ZK_data.lua to ZKE_data.lua
- Copy ZKE_order.lua to ZKE_order.lua
You may need to rewrite mentioned ZKE_ files in case you've already run ZKE at least once.
3. Q: What are the implemented changes so far?
3. A: Here they are:
- Some changes to sniper [?]
- Added a modoption to limit maximum level of commander [?]
- Got rid of offender[?] for now
- Messed a little bit here and there with Hacksaw[?]
- Changed warrior a bit[?]
- Both internal and storage unit capacity are increased to 1000 Metal/Energy
- Small storage sidearms to eco buildings
- Sonar is no more, cloak feels consistently on sea and land
- Undone some of the recent renames [?]
All changes could be observed in the github commit log:
4. Q: Is it official already?
4. A: Yes and No, simultaneously. Although one can run it relatively easy, it has not been played yet. Also no stable version is available [?]
5. Q: What are the nearest plans?
5. A: Generally speaking it's outlined here
. A bit longer distance targets are: sea rework, better role separation between air and GS. Also I hope It will be allowed to have two ZKE always-open rooms (1v1 and small teams).
6. Q: How do I contribute/help?
6. A: Actually I welcome any help. Most wanted form of help would be code contribution, followed by outlining ideas how certain areas of game/gameplay should look like.
7. Q: What are the areas where changes are especially welcome?
7. Q: Sea combat and air/GS play
8. Q: Why ZKE is a mod and not mutator?
8. A: Because mutator felt terribly broken and I wanted to have control over individual commits of ZK
9. Q: What are the main challenges for ZKE to live?
9. A: Following:
- Lack of interest from the community
- Lack of time and motivation from my side
Feedback is welcome!