Name:    Password:    (Forgot password / username? / Create an account)
Forum index  > News   >

Zero-K v1.0.4.17 - Mex control and Gunship balance

Post comment

45 posts, 1549 views
AUrankAdminGoogleFrog
24 months ago

Today we throw off the shackles of broken metalmap layouts and confusing extractor incomes. No more will otherwise good maps be unplayable and no one can miss the clearly displayed power of super mexes. Mex placement now has a UI, is limited to specific spots and is entirely configurable game side on a per-map basis.

As far as balance goes Gunship roles have been extremified and Tremor has received quite a buff.

== Mex Placement ==

Mex placement is now limited to specific locations on the map.

Interface:
* Mex placement snaps to mex spots.
* Spot line width and I-Beam count indicates income.
* Spot colour indicates whether the spot is under allied control.

Mechanic Changes:
* Mex constructor no longer receives 5% extra base income.
* Metalmap view cannot be used to increase scout view range.
* Mexes now start as soon as they are built (previously there was a 3s delay to gather resource data).

Compatibility:
* Cloud metal maps with large extractor radius are not supported. Examples are Bazillion Battlefield and Castles.
* Those with small extractor radius still work. For example Duck and Speedmetal.
* Game-side configs can be added to completely replace a metalmap. This can be used to fix the few liked cloud metalmaps and to fix maps that look good but have broken metalmaps.

Widgets:
* Area Mex, Mex Snap and Prospector have been removed and partially merged into a single widget.
* If you disable this widget you're stuffed.

== Ready behaviour change ==

Start location can now be chosen at any time and there is no ready button. The game with start 4s after every player has chosen a start location.

== Balance ==

Tremor:
* AOE increased 11%
* DPS increased 23%
* Impacts smooths terrain.

Weapononised terrain smoothing is reduced for mid air explosions (as in when projectiles impact a shield high above the ground).

Seismic missile can shoot underwater.

Brawler. It should emphasise range and not being hit by most land units.
* Speed 4.7 -> 4
* Uses more of it's range while strafing.

Blackdawn. Should be hit and run with ground interaction.
* Speed 4.65 -> 4.5
* Health 2900 -> 3400
* Cruise Altitude 210 -> 150 (to compare Banshee is at 100)
* Range 450 -> 300

Rapier. If it is going to defend other gunships it needs to be able to keep up
with them and deal reasonable damage.
* Speed 3.8 -> 4
* Health 1300 -> 1100
* Damage 150 -> 200 (1 shot better vs Vamp)
* Range 300 -> 340

Banshee. This just needs to be a bit better.
* DPS increased 5%
* Range increased by 20

Gnat. Needs to be less extreme "completely win or die".
* Health 90 -> 120 (This is over the Defender boundary, am I mad????)
* Range increased by 20

Strider Hub:
* Costs 550 -> 600m (for consistency)

Bantha:
* Added laser overcharge special weapon.

== GUI ==

Structures in the build menu are ordered by cost.

Geo hightlight activates when build geo is selected. Geos are now drawn on the minimap with a big X.

Bombers now require repeat enabled to retain an attack command.

== Fixed ==

* Rector repair speed was too high.
* Mex, wind, carrier, HLT, defender, LLT aimvolume tweaks. Allied units are better at shooting past them.
* Fix Dante script error.
* Initial state "hold position" preset should work reliably.
* Fixed Archangel DPS
+0 / -0
NLrank[GBC]Tandstickor
24 months ago
does this mean you always have to place the mex in the center of the metal spot? or can i still save walking time by putting the metalspot on the edge of the extraction radius (dont have a comp that can runs spring here atm).

also, why hp buff for BD? Even with slower speed, shouldn't we let it play-out without hp buff first?

but anyway, thanks again for the next update, the game just gets better and better!
+0 / -0
AUrankAdminGoogleFrog
24 months ago

The concept of metal patches and extractor radius has been removed. There are just specific spots on the map that mexes can be placed to give income. Mexes cannot be placed anywhere else.

Many balance changes tweak the unit but keep it in it's role. The gunship changes aren't exactly like that. Instead they try to tweak the roles to create a more differentiated set of units. So they look a bit more extreme and may not be balanced.
+0 / -0
DErankNeonSturm
24 months ago
What should happen if someone make some shit (or a spawned PW structure) over a mex spot and you can't reclaim it (or it takes too long)?

Are you still able to make your mex above 2/3 of the spot by manual placement?

I have to try out some maps where extractors apart from spots give 0.4 income.
+0 / -0
CZrankAdminLicho
24 months ago

Google forgot to mention important communism/sharing change .. mexes now start 50%private and go to 0% over 5 mins.
+0 / -0
LTrank[pikts]wolas
24 months ago
http://zero-k.info/Battles/Detail/70364 Desynced badly could this be because of new metal map?
+0 / -0
ATrankSkasi
24 months ago
Too bad my proposed Slasher buff didn't make it into this version.

NeonStorm: No. PW structure placement will have to be improved.

That reminds me; there's that high, thin map with hills east and west. It has map features that block metal spots. Dunno the name.
+0 / -0
DErankNeonSturm
24 months ago
Mex Snap + Victoria Crater is bugged.

For the big metal lake it would be better to have a square shaped extraction area.
+0 / -0
FIrank[ffc]Killer
24 months ago
why metal multiplier dont work?
+0 / -0
EErankAdminAnarchid
24 months ago

Donator star
Coastal generates one extra zero-income metal spot in the north-west bay.
+0 / -0
CArankAdminPxtl
24 months ago
Ick, we're going to have to go through a *lot* of maps with slightly odd metal patches to check how this thing works.
+0 / -0
USrankmarathon
24 months ago
HAIL COMMUNISM!!!

Nice change to communism.
+0 / -0
AUrankAdminGoogleFrog
24 months ago
(edited 24 months ago)

When you see a broken map just fix it, I have only seen 4 so far and only 2 of them were seriously broken. It only affects some maps with strange values that let you partially overlap metal spots or maps with weird metal shapes.
+0 / -0
CHrankConnetable
24 months ago
(edited 24 months ago)

Donator star
Many thanks for this update.

Each update bring about nice ideas to make the game better. It really seems the continuous updates follow a consistent path and that's great!

IIRC, the metal gained with overdrive is shared 50/50 all along?

+0 / -0
USrankCrazyEddie
24 months ago

Donator star
Connetable: sort of. As of v1.0.4.6 overdrive is 50% shared equally between teammates, and 50% distributed based on how much energy each player contributes. See http://zero-k.info/Forum/Thread/2170

Prior to that change, overdrive was 100% shared equally between teammates.
+0 / -0
SErankThat80sJanitor
24 months ago
I believe you made your Rapiers ridiculously awesome against ground units. Unless the opponent is boasting a Heavy Veh factory with the Flak-AA, these new Rapiers are ridiculous.
+0 / -0
DErankNeonSturm
24 months ago
(edited 24 months ago)

If there is a spot with 0.1m/s or less just delete it.
You can make 0.2m/s with any con - or not?

How about spawning reclaimable things at metal spots which are auto-reclaimed by extractors or any con?
Overdriven extractors multiply the reclaimed metal or start generating metal by their own.
Because you can't place mexes everywhere, this would not be like BA-makers.
If an enemy dies next to an extractor, the extractor reclaims it.
It would be nice if we could transport wreckages to extractors and get more out of it (like 100% of unit cost).
+0 / -0
USranksomekid
24 months ago
tremer is op now reduce its damage by about 15%
or reduce its range.
+0 / -0
EErankAdminAnarchid
24 months ago

Donator star
How is tremor OP?
+0 / -0
DErankAdminmojjj
24 months ago
(edited 24 months ago)

Donator star
just a suggestion to mex building and/or geo building:

1) having selected a constructor unit or commander (a unit which CAN build this structure)
2)moving mouse over build-spot, current build-mode for mex/geo is automatically selected.
3)right-click-to-build structure directly at this location, which is faster and more user-friendly. (replacing a "move" command to the mex/geo spot)
+0 / -0
EErankAdminAnarchid
24 months ago

Donator star
I fullheartedly support the idea of right-click-to-capture.
+0 / -0
ATrankSkasi
24 months ago
(edited 24 months ago)

I think this was intended anyway, mojjj. Just takes a while.

somekid might be right. The buff is pretty high. Don't forget the new ground smoothing effect adds to that. It'll take lots of testing before "ZOMG OP NURF!!!" though.

Neon's idea's funny. The mex-part would be a shizload of micro though. I once suggested to let transporters pick up wreckages. Oh and when the new Welder model was released I immediately thought "wut, let it use its shovels to transport debris & wrecks into my base!".
+0 / -0
ATrankSkasi
24 months ago
(edited 24 months ago)

Silly Rafal! Don't edit meh posts!
+0 / -0
PLrankAdminRafal[ZK]
24 months ago
(edited 24 months ago)

So much sorry Skasi I hit 'Edit' instead of 'Post Comment' :/

Edit: Glad you revered it. :)
+0 / -0
CZrankAdminLicho
24 months ago

Also mex/geo display could be visible when you select con (no need to go to build mex mode) so that you can see instantly there are uncapped geos/mexes.
+0 / -0
EErankAdminAnarchid
24 months ago

Donator star
quote:
Also mex/geo display could be visible when you select con (no need to go to build mex mode) so that you can see instantly there are uncapped geos/mexes.

That sounds rather excessive, especially in case where your battle units mix with cons that repair them.

Maybe show the metal view when hovering over a metal spot with cons, rather.
+0 / -0
CZrankAdminLicho
24 months ago

Thats not it, issue is in games people forget to cap/rebuild mexes and geos. Having it display on hover means that there was intent to check it and for that you can already press F4
+0 / -0
ATrankSkasi
24 months ago
(edited 24 months ago)

I agree with Licho. In another thread someone said "providing the player with information is important". It continued somewhat like "much more so than shiny gfx". The later is probably not of importance here, but the first part fits.

Oh and, weeee. Just watch a random replay, people really forget to cap mexes super often. Even the good ones! The "Mineral Prospector" award was an important step - it's still too easy to get though and guess why? X)
+0 / -0
CArankAdminPxtl
24 months ago
No more con-only schizophrenic UI. It was a bad idea with custom formations / radial menu, and it's a bad idea here.

If there's going to be a highlight on uncapped mexes, either make it mex-building-only or always visible.

If cons auto-build mexes on rclick, make sure the behavior is sane for click-drag.
+0 / -0
GBrank[Fx]Drone
24 months ago

Donator star
I like the mex change, makes it easier for newbies, is generally more simple and impossible to get wrong

but the thing about the gunships really proves a point that Jaz was saying to me about how one of the reasons he doesn't play ZK is that it's practically a different game every day, too many big changes can be annoying

I also like the tremor change, it's a cool unit and cool units should receive love
+0 / -0
CArankAdminPxtl
24 months ago
@Britain, I rarely see any gunship other than the Brawler and the armed transport, and the Brawler hasn't undergone massive changes. Fiddling with the lesser-used units is exactly what *should* happen.
+0 / -0
EErankAdminAnarchid
24 months ago

Donator star
quote:
or always visible

In fact, this. Get rid of f4 completely and for good.
+0 / -0
USranksomekid
24 months ago
wa? but i liked forgeting that i had f4 veiw on the whole game.
+0 / -0
USrankAnthem
24 months ago
(edited 24 months ago)

F4 makes a lot of bright maps less eye-melting. I almost always play with it on. (The new mex spot view on the minimap is pretty obtrusive but I can see why it'd be useful to other people.)
+0 / -0
AUrankAdminGoogleFrog
24 months ago

"/luaui darkening 0.5"
+0 / -0
ATrankSkasi
24 months ago
It's good if metal spots are obtrusive, Anthem. Never say anything else!!!

Also, moar pro-wut: /luaui darkening .5
+0 / -0
USrankAnthem
24 months ago
I will try that.
+0 / -0
USranksomekid
24 months ago
where do you find all these commands google?
and what would you rather have? 3 pillagers or one tremor?
+0 / -0
ATrankSkasi
24 months ago
(edited 24 months ago)

That one is a widget named "Darkening". Check F11, tooltip should say something like "/luaui darkening float".
+0 / -0
DErankNeonSturm
24 months ago
Darkening must be included!

I would more likely have a proper set of widgets than losing some players.
But I want at least some options to design the user interface.
+0 / -0
DErankAdminmojjj
24 months ago

Donator star
thx for the hint with lua darkening. some maps really are unplayable bright. is there any place where an overview of theese commands which i havent seen yet?
+0 / -0
MYrankjseah
24 months ago
(edited 24 months ago)

I used darkening 0.2 yesterday while spectating a game. It works awesomely!

Many thanks for this command!

EDIT: prospective users should note that higher numbers darken more.
/luaui darkening 0.2 - decreases brightness by 20%
0.5 halves brightness

EDIT2: Note that this also applies to the L key, so you don't want to darken too far or you won't see your los
+0 / -0
ATrankSkasi
24 months ago
(edited 24 months ago)

There's this, linked in the manual: https://github.com/spring/spring/blob/develop/doc/cmds.txt

Metal bars below metal spots should be displayed circular or however you call it. You know, so if a spot has 1.75 metal, it should display 1 bar and 3/4th of the bar like 3/4th of a cake, or pizza, not like 3/4th of a loaf of bread, or sausage.

To give a better example:
_####
######
###
_##

Instead of this:
####...
####...
####...
+0 / -0
EErankAdminAnarchid
24 months ago

Donator star
quote:
Metal bars below metal spots should be displayed...

I also would really prefer if they would not be drawn on the ground surface, so as to not tilt with world :P
+0 / -0
DErankNeonSturm
24 months ago
(edited 24 months ago)

Blackstar - or was it Darkstar - shows only 2 metal spots at start locations, one within the geo spot.

It would be nice if mexes avoid geo spots.

Does Jetro jam radars too? I seen it shot while it was cloaked + no air in sight.

Sry - wrong version.
+0 / -0

Post comment