You can select your units with your mouse, with your keyboard, or both.
- Simple click, select what you click on.
- Double click, select all same units/buildings on screen.
- Box select (click and drag to draw a rectangle), select all inside the box with the highest selection rank.
To manage your selection you can
- right click a unit in the selection window to remove it from the current selection,
- Shift right click to remove all units that are like the one you click on;
- Shift + selection command will add newly selected units to the current selection.
Selection rank is what decides which units will be selected when doing a box drag over multiple unit types such as fighters, constructors, or buildings.
There are four selection ranks: 0, 1, 2, and 3. Rank 0 is unused, 1 and 2 are for buildings and constructors, 3 is for fighting units. Default selection rank is customizable through the in-game settings.
When doing a box drag over units with different selection ranks, only the units with the highest rank will be selected.
You can see a unit's selection rank as a large gray number on the side of the command menu; generally, fighters are 3, builders and factories are 2, caretakers and defence structures are 1.
You can change a unit's default selection rank in the in game settings. For example, by setting a Commander's rank to 2 you will avoid accidental cancellation of its building queue orders or getting it killed by issuing commands that were meant for your army.
You can bypass selection rank by holding Shift while dragging. You will select all units/buildings in the box.
There are multiple hotkeys to help with selection:
- Ctrl-A selects everything
- Ctrl-F selects all mobile non-builder units
- Z selects an idle builder; press repeatedly to cycle trough idle builders
- Ctrl-B selects all idle constructors
- Ctrl-C selects Commander
- Ctrl-Z selects all units that are the same as the one you are currently selecting
- Ctrl-X selects all units that are the same as the one you are currently selecting that are currently visible on the screen
- Ctrl-I removes non-idle units from your selection
- Ctrl-E removes all units that are above 30% HP from your selection
- Ctrl-T selects Transports
- Ctrl-S selects Owls
- Ctrl-G selects Raptors
Factories can also be selected using hotkeys. Your first factory will be on Alt+Q, the second factory you build will be on Alt+W and the next one on Alt+E, and so on. This assumes that you have the QWERTY keyboard layout.
You can select missiles from the Missile Silo by either clicking on them or by selecting the Silo and pressing D.
All hotkeys are editable in the settings menu.
Autogroups are custom selection hotkeys that you can set up on the go. They allow units to be automatically added to a control group.